Holy C^&p! Power!

GoldenMotor.com

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
All this time I have been puttin around on my 49cc that I got from ebay and thinking that I was cool....

Well, I recently broke a motor mount bolt off in that motor, and since I had to pull it off i figured it may as well be time for an upgrade :) (engine removal is tedious because I have a jackshaft kit) so I ordered a 68.5 cc with the slant head kit from zoom motors.

First off, I have a few complaints, although they really have nothing to do with the retailer.

-The main mounting holes, on the seat post, are about 3/16 of an inch wider than on my old motor, and I would imagine that they are not supposed to be that way. Also, one of those holes was drilled dangerously close to the outside of the motor, and I am sure that that part of the threads is extremely thin. Anyhow, I was too lazy to send it back, so I had to modify my jackshaft kit ( I didn't want to do that, but oh well) by making the mounting holes wider.

-Someone thought that it would be a good idea to paint some kind of finish on the motor. It is aluminum, it doesn't need a finish! My old motor, with just the plain old aluminum cast looked pretty slick. This one just looks dirty. Get rid of that finish.

Now for the good part. Holy crap! The minute I got this thing started to took off considerably faster than my old one. I have only rode it at about half throttle and I already broke my own speed record with my old motor. I hit 43.5 mph. the 49cc quit pulling in 4th gear and 5th gear was a joke, but i could use it to cruise at low rpm's, but now the damn thing pulls straight through 5th gear, at half throtttle!

Why didn't you guys tell me to get a bigger motor earlier.........

myocardia

Jul 29, 2009
near Dallas, TX
Hey caprirs, get a bigger motor earlier.:) BTW, do you happen to have a Capri with a 302? I remember those little Capris, and can't imagine how one would run with a 302 in it. Then again, I've seen Chevettes with 350's in them, just not on the street.

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
if you have the 49cc kit and get the larger 66c engine, can you still use the same carb and muffler? im thinking of ordering one soon so that once the current 49cc dies i can upgrade to 66cc right away

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Now put a expansion chanber on it and get the "more power" thrill all over again. I have a Zoom 80 slanthead also. It's been a great motor.

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
As a matter of fact I do have a Capri with a 302 in it, but you will have to go a little bit further back in history. Before mercury used the capri name on the little girly car of the nineties, it was used on a more muscular car (in europe I believe?) and then eventually as a Mustang clone from 1979-1986. Mine happens to be a 1983 that came with a 302 H.O. and T-Tops. Unfortunately, due to emissions laws in my area (and me growing up a bit) I haven't driven it in years. I've kept the screen name though, use it for everything.

This isn't mine, but here is a picture

http://www.cargurus.com/images/2009/08/12/14/41/1983-mercury-capri-pic-31028.jpeg

Attachments