Front brake options & moose

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
For a couple of years now I've been riding a vintage Chicago made Schwinn middleweight with an 80cc engine. It is a 1963 American Deluxe with a nice strong frame and single speed. I don't like having just a coaster brake and am unclear about what options are possible and practical for an older bike like mine, especially on a budget. Have any of you added brakes to an older bike similar to this? If my coaster brake should fail for some reason or the chain comes loose... bad news. It isn't so much that I need fast stops, just need to be sure that I can stop. Last year I was descending a steep hill up my way in northern Minnesota and two moose stepped out in the road ahead of me. Oh boy. So a fairly quick stop is a good idea. I'm more worried about moose that traffic. I shut off the motor and stayed still, hoping that their lousy eyesight would make me of no concern. They stared my way for a couple of anxious minutes, then slipped ghost like into the forest. how do you spell relief? Anyway, any ideas for budget front brakes? As always, many thanks. I've gotten so much good advice here in the short time I've been a member. Great forum.
Silverbear

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
What type of forks do you have? There are many options for brakes. Drum brakes, Disc Brakes with adaptors and caliper brakes.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I put an aftermarket springer fork on mine and then added a caliper brake (as out of sight as I could make it). Works for me.

To use the stock fork without modification, a drum would seem to be the option...but that $50+ (low end...if you can find it) and wheel building on top of that.

If you don't do something unbelieveably stupid like mount a cosmetic leaf spring, it takes about 10 minutes to mount a caliper on an aftermarket springer. Calipers can be as inexpensive as $12, but the fork is about $40.

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A drum brake wheel will fit any fork. They can be pricey, so look for a used one.
A less expensive alternative is to use a side pull BMX brake on your fork. They look like
a brake on a 10 speed, but have enough clearance to work on a cruiser tire. You need only one hole in the crown of your fork to mount a BMX brake. Most cruiser forks already have that hole for mounting fenders.
I feel like the front brake is a necessity in case the coaster overheats, throttle sticks, of the clutch doesn't want to disengage as you approach a stop.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
A cruiser that old won't have the hole in the fork for a brake. I would say that your options are like they said before. Drum or Disc brake. You could also just search out a newer fork so you can use a regular side pull brake. You can probably pick up a donor bike for cheap at a police auction, swap meet, or thrift store. Of course then you risk getting an idea for another project!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the input. I already have decided against the disc brake setup as it looks complicated and is beyond my budget. The drum brake would be ideal and I'll be watching for a used one if possible. I'm also on the lookout for a different front fork since you are right, the American does not have a hole and I don't think there's enough room to drill one. I agree that a front brake of some kind is really necessary. Thanks...
Walter Silverbear

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yesterday I ran across an ebay listing for a NOS Schwinn front brake adapter for older Schwinns which came with no hole for mounting a caliper brake. I won the auction and with shipping it came to $12.00 plus. Thanks to RedB66 for the link to the MX Pyramid brake kit from BikeWorldUSA, which I have also ordered at a cost of about $18.00 with shipping. So for thirty dollars or so I will have my front brake... not as good as a disc brake or even a drum brake, but it will be a new front brake which is enough for me. I live in the country and do very little in town riding and even then, not in real traffic. It is going to be a relief knowing I can stop if the coaster brake should fail me. Thanks to all of you for responding with comments and tips.
Silverbear

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I know you've already bought the parts for a front brake; but another option is putting a caliper brake on the rear wheel, (with the coaster)... Many of those old schwinns have a flat fender bracket that a brake can bolt on to. (this is just a idea for anyone else who might read this...)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Venice Boy,
Thanks for the tip. I'll study my other 63 American and see if it will work for a rear brake. I ordered and have now mounted heavy duty 2.125 wheels and new tires on the 63 American getting the front brake kit. Wow, what a difference they make! Fat tires will fit on a middleweight schwinn, at least they do on my 63's. The front fork has to be filed out a little to allow for the thicker axle bolt, but other than that, they fit right up. Look awfully nice, too!
I took a look at your website and am very impressed with your many beautiful builds. Wow. If I were younger I would think about doing this for a living (a marginal living I suspect), but what fun these machines are. Many thanks and good luck to you in your endeavors.
Silverbear