Oil leak?

GoldenMotor.com

Carson2000

Oct 25, 2015
California
Hi I just have a quick question. Were the case halves join together on the bottom of the engine I see one hanging drop of oil. I'm running 20:1. Is this oil leak normal or does it need fixing?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
seen that a lot lately - not serious, just a casting fail - add an 0-ring or extra washer to that bolt

Carson2000

Oct 25, 2015
California
Thanks crassius but I believe you confused with something else. Not at this time but after a bit right were the bolt connects the case together is were the little black drop will be. How do I do I add a washer?

Attachments

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sorry, you're right - I was thinking of the front one of the 2 screws at the bottom of the cylinder

you'll need an impact driver to tighten the screw in the picture

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First you need to make sure of where that drip is coming from. Naturally it's going to end up hanging from the lowest point but it might be coming from somewhere above. I'd suggest you clean the engine case with a solvent, ride the bike around the block then inspect the engine carefully to see if the oil is actually coming from the case gasket or somewhere else.

It isn't unusual for a case gasket to leak and sometimes it is from a loose case fastener. However I'd be very cautious about overtightening. That is only a 6mm screw and exceeding about 60 inch pounds of torque could break it and leave you with much bigger problems than a small drip.

Tom