Bike won't start after winter

GoldenMotor.com

Kairos

Nov 8, 2013
Idaho
So I put together my first motorized bicycle last summer and it was working great! I put it into my storage unit for the winter and haven't ridden it since. (It's been about 4 months and up here in Idaho it does get below 0).

I tried getting the bike started today with no luck. It's about 40 degrees F today and it normally starts OK at that tempurature. I pedalled as fast and as hard as I could for about 5 minutes (I did take a couple of breaks during that time), and even tried adjusting the choke. Still, I didn't even hear a sputter.

I have a few questions:
-Is there anything that could have broken simply because it got too cold?
-Does it take more to get the engine started after not using it for awhile?
-If there's an issue with my spark plug or magneto box, how could I tell?

I really appreciate your responses! I tried searching on the site but couldn't find an exact answer to my questions. Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Gasoline. You didn't tell us what engine you have but if it is a 2 stroke and the fuel has been sitting in the tank you might want to drain it and the carburetor. 2 stroke, mixed fuel has a short 'shelf life'. It can go bad after a few weeks or more and give you problems.

Heavy condensation on the magneto coil could be a problem as well as anywhere in the electrical circuit. Was the bike kept dry during storage? No roof leaks?

You need fuel (clean and new) air and ignition for the engine to run. Confirm those three and determine which you don't have.

Tom

Kairos

Nov 8, 2013
Idaho
I was not even aware that could be an issue! Yeah, it's a 2-stroke, and there was previously mixed gas in the tank. How would you go about draining it without making a huge mess?

-Does that also mean that I probably shouldn't mix 2 gallons of gas at a time?

And yes, it was kept dry during storage. just very cold.

To eliminate all other possibilities, is there anything else that could keep it from starting?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Remove the fuel line from the carburetor, put a can under the fuel line, open the petcock and drain the tank.

As for the carburetor, remove the float bowl, dump what's in it into the same container you drained the tank in, replace the bowl and tighten the screws.
Mix up a new batch of fuel and fill the tank.

(go dump the container in the gutter, but only after dark) :)

Apply some choke, maybe half closed, pedal and see if the engine starts. If not, start checking for ignition (spark). If no ignition let us know and we'll suggest some places to start looking.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You can do a quick test. Just remove the spark plug, drip in ~ 5 drops of fresh gas and see if it kicks.

If it pops, you have bad gas, or water in the carb. Condensation is real.

Kairos

Nov 8, 2013
Idaho
Thanks a ton! I was able to get it started. I'm pretty sure it was the bad gas because after draining it and putting new stuff in, it started with a breeze!

whipaway

Mar 15, 2013
NY
I guess gasoline formulations vary by region, plus some 2-stroke oil brands contains fuel stabilizing additives because I have had no problems starting my China girl with year old gas.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I guess gasoline formulations vary by region, plus some 2-stroke oil brands contains fuel stabilizing additives because I have had no problems starting my China girl with year old gas.
You are correct. I'm one of the weirdos who use Opti-2. It contains a stabilizer and I've used my mixed fuel that has set for months. I use the same fuel/oil in my snow blower and used fuel I mixed for it in July. Never had a problem.

Nevertheless, it is commonly known that 2 stroke mix doesn't like to be stored for long periods, especially where moisture/condensation is an issue with gasoline containing a high percentage of ethanol.

Tom

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Sorry to be a necroposter but I had a gallon of gas mixed with opti 2 from early summer and I just got my bike going. Fired right up after I got some other bugs resolved. Thebgas seems to run fine but I might be lacking power. Don't know if I'm just expecting too kuch out of a rebuilt top end of if its the old gas.

Either way opti2 mixed gas still usable aftet all this time