Headset Conversion 1 1/8" - 1"

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I got my headset adapters today. I have no idea what they fit. They don't seem to fit anything I have. The packing says 1 1/8 - 1".

The adapter od is 1 5/16". That's too big to fit into a 1 1/8" frame whf!!

The inside dia of the adapter is 1 3/16". The new headset race is 1 1/4" od on the small end. Too big to fit in the adapter.

I'm thinking this adapter is maybe mislabled?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I bought one more 1 1/8 - 1" adapter from a different manufacturer. It's exactally the same dimensions as the other two. Now I have 3 sets and none of them fit anything I have.

I'm now convinced that what I have are in fact called 1 1/8 - 1" adapters in the outside world. The problem is nothing I have seems to be this size, except the original steerer tube that I'm not using anymore.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm still not sure why the parts I bought didn't fit. I guess different frames have different size neck tubes, where the headset races fit. I'm also guessing Kent may make their own oem headsets.

The Atomic BB frame is aluminum, made by Kent Bicycles. This particular frame is a Northwoods Ridgedale. It's the same frame used by Cadillac brand.

I noticed the new bearing races I bought were close to being able to fit inside of the stock oem races. I was able to grind the inside dia of the stock races big enough for my new 1" races to fit inside them, and then reinstall the stock races back into the frame.

Unless you can make your own custom adapters, I don't know any other way to change this frame to a 1" steerer tube.