Boost Bottles Do work!

GoldenMotor.com

PR3C150N

Aug 27, 2010
NSW
I didn’t believe they did either, until i actually bought one. And it is very important to have it as the same or close to your displacement of your engine. and i do believe the only site that does properly is BOOSTBOTTLE Ind. And i have gained a bit of extra power, plus the ride is now 50x smoother and doesn’t bog at low RMPS. and i see other boost bottles and they are all different seizes claiming there for your engine but i disagree

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I didn’t believe they did either, until i actually bought one. And it is very important to have it as the same or close to your displacement of your engine. and i do believe the only site that does properly is BOOSTBOTTLE Ind. And i have gained a bit of extra power, plus the ride is now 50x smoother and doesn’t bog at low RMPS. and i see other boost bottles and they are all different seizes claiming there for your engine but i disagree
And that my friend is why I usually make my own....it's really quite easy as your probably finding out. Cheers!dnut

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...and lacking any conclusive evidence the debate rages ever on lol

You may find this of interest, there's far more than these few links ofc - but they provide a pretty good overview of the mixed feelings & results of said "boost bottles" heh;

http://motorbicycling.com/f51/mad-scientist-lab-test-boost-bottle-86.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f13/homemade-boost-bottle-23608.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f13/boost-bottle-12241.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f13/boost-bottle-3398.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/boost-bottle-nos-kit-5109.html

Tho I gotta wonder that if your engine was rough & boggy to begin with, was it tuned properly in the first place? What was causing such symptoms - did you tune anything else or jus' slap the bottle to it? How many miles did you have on that motor before this modification? What displacement is your engine? What's your fuel/oil mix? Difference in plug coloration? Any perceivable reduction in back-blow? What are you using to ascertain your "extra power"? Did you do a before and after with a speedometer/GPS or is it the ol' "butt dyno" method? etc., etc., etc... ;)

No offense man & I'm glad it's working out for you - but if you peruse even just the above links you'll see that this product has been rigorously tested by any number of folks both novice and expert with the perceived results mixed at best.

I'm afraid this is just one of those products that must be viewed with some small skepticism for a coupla reasons...

First, despite the large number of folks that have tried them - only a very few have reported any beneficial effect and even of those effects reported, it's been mostly marginal idle improvements so it's possible that it's either a placebo effect or even as simple a thing as an inadvertently repaired intake manifold leak.

The second far more interesting reason is (and please correct me if I'm wrong) to the best of my knowledge - absolutely no major two stroke manufacturer nor racing team of any type uses any sort of "boost bottle" on their engines. Motorcycles, snowmobiles, dirtbikes, quads, outboards, gokarts, etc. - NONE of them have anything at all like this...

I somehow doubt our lil HTs are at the forefront of engine technology & product development :p
http://motorbicycling.com/f51/boost-bottles-13896.html
I think huckersteve expressed it best when he stated: "I guess I'm saying that if there is still this much debate about whether these things actually work, they probably don't. I mean, nobody argues the merit of expansion chamber exhausts, by comparison."

:)

Last edited:

PR3C150N

Aug 27, 2010
NSW
yer i know, but it works with my setup and im happy. some say u cant notice because of how limited it is of doing anything lol

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
NP man & I'm glad yer happy w/it - there's just the never ending question of this product's actual viability and of the available aftermarket performance enhancing modifications - it's without a doubt one of the most dubious ones. As such it's somewhat needful to inform our memberbase of the controversy surrounding such a product to prevent potential disappointment.

After reading the available feedback should folks still wish to purchase such a questionable item in the interest of testing it for themselves and/or just a groovy add-on, then ossum! At least they'll not have undue expectations I figure ;)

Last edited:

PR3C150N

Aug 27, 2010
NSW
Wow, thanks for info guys, BarelyAW , yeah i know there is alot of variables that require to properly test this, but its a cool add on and it does make the ride a lot smoother, im running 16:1 Oil ( and i know all off you recommend like 25:1 run in then 30:1 after run in, but its better to abide by the rules and to stay safe and if anything happens they will fix it or get warranty. New Motor, probably 40km i have done, i say half way of the run in. after i done the boost bottle i put on Expansion chamber, and i have the speed carb stock. 66cc grubee go sick em’ slant head motor. boost bottle i believe increased the low end torque.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I think the real problem surrounding the Boost Bottle or Can is just the name. You expect some great performance enhancement, like a Boost of nitro and in most circumstances this isn't the case.

Over the years I've found best case scenario, a notable performance increase throughout the powerband. Usually the result is a slight increase in performance (very subtle) if any. There really are a lot of variables in making a B-bottle perform for a certain engine, and no two engines are identical, therefore like an expansion chamber, must be tuned for that specific engine.

In other words, one B-bottle doesn't fit all like the sellers would like you too believe....a lot of gimmick is the end result.

They do work in 2-strokes if done right...I've never heard of any enhancements for 4-strokes and wouldn't try it on one. All a "Boost" bottle really does is lessen the effects of blow-back through the carb on a 2-stroke...that's it. There is no real "Boost", so don't expect one....

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
yeah thats logic =] thanks for your input
No prob, I'm only speaking through personal expirience as I've played with these things for several years now and have weeded out the BS and whoo-hah hype. And iirc, Team Yamaha and others have used them on their factory Moto-Cross (Supercross) bikes for a few years before going 4-stroke. They have been proven to work well for increased performance when done right.dance1

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
how can one make a adjustable boost bottle at home to test which length is the best.. that is what i think we should all look into... i will try to build one .. any advice as in where to start at?

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
Maybe you could put two half metal cylinders one just large enough to slide the two together with a o-ring rolled onto the inside one, so one could slide the two back and forth with a good seal. I am thinking of doing this and then one only needs to weld the two halves together once you find the right size for your specific engine. If it does nothing more than reduce blow back and make an engine run smother than I think it would be good for all two strokes, to me it sounds like cleanliness and longevity. peace out

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i recently put a boost botle on my bike and got a increased mph of 26.9 from 25.2

but i have alot less gots and my bike idles really high tell its warmed up and then idles low

takeoff is slower but top speed is higher its kinda a handoff