Another hello from Hobart Australia

GoldenMotor.com

Gaft

Feb 22, 2009
Hobart, Tasmania
Gday
I've been a member as HybriPed for a few weeks but I've decided to close that down because that is my business name and I could see a conflict looming down the track.

Gaft - stands for Greg at Fern Tree

I work as a civil engineer in Hobart.

Also, I am enthusiastic about motorized bikes. I believe that they are very underrated as a serious mode of transport. And of course, they are largely prohibited in Australia.

With a couple of other guys, we are putting together a lunchtime display of motor-assisted pedal cycles in downtown Hobart on Tuesday. We'll be displaying a 2-seater petrol-assisted HPV which recently achieved 160 kms/litre in a HPV trial in November last year, a couple of electric-assisted bikes and several engine-assisted bikes. It should be interesting.

Cheers, Greg

Gaft

Feb 22, 2009
Hobart, Tasmania
Are there any motor-assist friendly cities?

Goodbye HyriPed and Welcome Gaft

That does sound intresting, snap some pics for us if you can.
I attended a very interesting by world bicycle-friendly urban architech Jan Gehl who has had a big impact on making Copenhagen a bicycle-friendly city, where 35% of workers cycle to work. Also, he was very entertaining.

However, all the examples of bicycle-friendly cities that he used were flat - Copenhagen, Melbourne (Australia) etc.

So I asked the question - whether there were any hilly cities like Hobart where I live (bounded by mountainous hills and a river) where pedal cycling was popular. He had to concede that some cities were very difficult.

He mentioned San Francisco, but mentioned that it was not really practical to cycle much of San Francisco.

The point of mentioning this is that Australia laws permit 200 watts assistance, but that is simply not enough to get around Hobart yet the Lycra Commandos would have you believe otherwise.

Does anyone know of any cities where motor-assistance is accepted as a practical solution to hilly-mountainous terrain?

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
If you're asking about any cities, Tucson, Arizona has both flat areas and hilly areas. The city is bounded on all four "sides" by mountain ranges. The city and surrounding suburbs extend into the foothills of three of those mountain ranges. The City of Tucson embarked on an ambitious project years ago to make the area's roads more bicycle friendly. Separate marked lanes, bike racks on buses and signs reminding drivers to "Share the Road" adorn a widespread area here. We are very fortunate. Every year the "El Tour de Tucson" bicycle race and related events bring worldwide attention to our bike friendly city. Motor assisted bikes are welcome, with certain generous power and speed limits. :D

Gaft

Feb 22, 2009
Hobart, Tasmania
If you're asking about any cities, Tucson, Arizona has both flat areas and hilly areas. The city is bounded on all four "sides" by mountain ranges. The city and surrounding suburbs extend into the foothills of three of those mountain ranges. The City of Tucson embarked on an ambitious project years ago to make the area's roads more bicycle friendly. Separate marked lanes, bike racks on buses and signs reminding drivers to "Share the Road" adorn a widespread area here. We are very fortunate. Every year the "El Tour de Tucson" bicycle race and related events bring worldwide attention to our bike friendly city. Motor assisted bikes are welcome, with certain generous power and speed limits. :D
Music to my ears. I'll follow it up.

Many, many thanks Weedylot.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I must temper the statement about motor assisted bikes being welcome here. Refer to my most recent rant on the "I saw you..." thread. There are three electric bike dealers and at least two MB dealers and builders. The nice shiny factory made electrics are priced beyond the reach of dirtball types. Mopeds (Puch, Tomos, Motobecane etc.) and scooters (Vespa, G.S, Honda Elite, Yamaha Razz, etc.) are required to have tags, insurance and drivers' license, leaving two stroke MBs the vehicle of choice for those that are trying to hide something, around here that is...
Due to their low price, MBs attract a certain demographic around here. It's not always a positive looking demographic. The police are well aware of the situation. Motor assisted bikes and MBs are scrutinized heavily in some areas of the city and by certain police officers.
I've been warned by other MBers to keep it totally legal, or else. :D

Gaft

Feb 22, 2009
Hobart, Tasmania
I must temper the statement about motor assisted bikes being welcome here. Refer to my most recent rant on the "I saw you..." thread. There are three electric bike dealers and at least two MB dealers and builders. The nice shiny factory made electrics are priced beyond the reach of dirtball types. Mopeds (Puch, Tomos, Motobecane etc.) and scooters (Vespa, G.S, Honda Elite, Yamaha Razz, etc.) are required to have tags, insurance and drivers' license, leaving two stroke MBs the vehicle of choice for those that are trying to hide something, around here that is...
Due to their low price, MBs attract a certain demographic around here. It's not always a positive looking demographic. The police are well aware of the situation. Motor assisted bikes and MBs are scrutinized heavily in some areas of the city and by certain police officers.
I've been warned by other MBers to keep it totally legal, or else. :D
I suspect that the only way to go in Australia would be registration as motor vehicles. It would be impossible to classify them as motor-assisted bicycles under the current situation.

The key issue is speed. Bicycles typically remain below 20 mph. MBs fit between bicyles and scooters. The police do need to be able to identify dickheads if they mess it up for everyone.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Simon, Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

You will need to make a few post to become a active member before you can post any links.

Gaft

Feb 22, 2009
Hobart, Tasmania
I'm in Fern Tree and have been commuting between Fern Tree and Hobart. I'm pretty keen to push the legality stuff.

I'd like to learn a bit more about you and your bike - commuter or fun?