Takes too long to start

GoldenMotor.com

chewyps

Apr 26, 2015
USA
I bought this engine

http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/Jet-66cc-80cc-Standard-Finish.html

and have been having problems getting it started. Using 20:1 ratio. I have to peddle at least 1/2 mile before it sparks up and runs. Choke doesn't seem to help at all. I shut off gas after every ride and turn it back on when i begin ride.But once it gets running it runs great and keeps running. after cool down however it is hard to start again.any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..shft.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
check your plug gap.
if your carb has one check your idle mix screw.
NT carbs have a little brass button thing on the side, supposedly thats for priming, never needed mine, maybe try that.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I suppose you ought to check that your choke is working properly. Maybe the 'hinge' has come loose and the choke is not actually closing even though you're lifting the lever.

If that checks out okay, then I'd start wondering if your fuel flow from tank to carb is too low for some reason. Maybe a clogged up fuel petcock? You see where I'm going with this; maybe your carb is starved for fuel.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
I'd bet on air leak.... Look at the head ( loose the acorn nuts and replace with standard hex..
Check the intake ....
If that's not the culprit check the crank seals....
Un like a 4 stroke a bad crank seal on a 2 stroke will make for a very hard starting engine....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good advice so far. I'll add a couple of things.

What's your spark plug gap? .024 to .028 is a good ballpark place to start. What plug are you using?

I'd also want to check that plastic spark plug boot. The kit part is notorious for poor electrical connection. We usually suggest replacing it with an automotice quality boot and using a spark plug with the top cap installed.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Tom

chewyps

Apr 26, 2015
USA
I really appreciate all the replies to this thread. It seems my problem was I just needed a pull start. Bought this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-P...gine-Motorized-Bike-new-/231545312218?vxp=mtr and I am impressed with it. Engine starts on first pull on right compression feel. Had to buy new cranks from bikeberry to clear pull start. Will update after i get it installed. This is what I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Crank-...ike-/181473523455?hash=item2a40aa36ff&vxp=mtr. So I am a happy camper right now. I really like this forum and community very nice people that come together when someone needs it.Glad to be a part of it.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I use a pull start on mine as well and it did seem at the time like it was easier to start but also the first few times you try to start a new engine it will be pretty tough to start then it will start easier and easier each time you run the bike... closing the gap on the plug down to .022 to. 024" will make it start real easy even on a new engine, and getting rid of that piece of junk stock spark plug boot replacing it with an automotive type boot helps a lot too... not only with easier starts but also drastically reduces the chance of breaking down while riding