Bienvenue sur le forum de l'Amicale Tricyclecariste de France

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Well I finally went and done it, - I joined a French language forum for three wheeled cyclecars.

http://tricyclecaristes.forumr.net/

Either I'm going to improve my French, or else I'll be chased off for torturing their mother tongue. Time will tell I suppose ;)
It wasn't much point me messing around with trying to build a semi-replica French cyclecar and not actually going right to the place where I could find out more about the thing.
My forum name over there is Intrépide which should come as no surprise :)

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I received a nice welcome reply to my carefully put together introduction in French, - only it was written in English. Does this mean that they think my French is terrible? :eek:
My daughter said they were most probably just being polite because English is my first language.

BGW - it's actually quite funny really because in high school I was not the greatest French student. The problem was they taught French like it was a punishment for being naughty instead of being a great way to communicate with interesting folk who happen to speak French.
Actually these days with Google Translate foreign language forums are not quite so impenetrable as they once were.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anne,

That was the way they taught French in my school. When I asked whether we were going to learn Continental French or our Quebecois French spoken in Canada. I was coldly told that there was a better chance that I would be going to Paris than Montreal which was about 300 miles from where I lived so we were learning "proper" French.

My son is in Guatemala at the moment but he is having a world of fun learning Spanish as he goes from whoever he can with some real surprises. One time he was in a small city in Mexico that was strictly Indian. Everyone is in native dress as they do every day and as he's looking at a bunch of information about a historic site and someone standing beside him tells him in English with a strong New York accent that there are better ruins to see.
He said after he jumped a little he looks over and there is a old lad dressed in native dress complete with feathered headdress. Turns out he had lived in New York City for 40 years and had come back to live in the area where he was born.

Yesterday he had to have his phone repaired and they were having a hard time with it so they called a friend in to help. Young fella walks in and asks Dave what he needs in a real strong Boston Accent which is about 60 miles from where Dave lives. If you have ever heard President John Kennedy or his brothers speak that is a what this guy sounded like. He'd gone to school there for 6 years. They were laughing at the look of surprise on my sons face.
The kids father is Chinese and his mother Guatemalan.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Oh, ce est merveilleux , ils sont si gentils et serviables......

Oops sorry, wrong forum (blush).

Yes Steve I'm sure there are better ways to learn a language (sigh). For a short while I had a young French teacher who took an immersive approach and taught a conversational style of French, but I think she was a little too radical for the crusty old college I went to and she didn't stay long.

When I was training to be a social worker I learned conversational Maori by an immersive method and I picked the language up surprisingly quickly. Unfortunately I would sometimes unintentionally embarrass some urban Maori clients because I could speak Maori and they couldn't. Being European/Pakeha I found it difficult to find native speakers who were willing to converse with me so eventually my ability to speak the language just faded away. A pity really.

Thanks for sharing those stories about your son's experiences. I'm sure he's having a terrific time and has a great may traveller's stories to tell. I can just imagine his surprise though when that elderly Indian chap spoke up though :D

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I endured French in a military college prep school in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. First year teacher was an elderly little Cuban guy, (Ruban the Cuban Delgato) whose brand of French was suspect due to his questionable English skills which he thought were perfect. I recall him getting red in the face more than once and yelling at me "you haf no co ordinasion of de mind!!!) 2nd year French was a snappy marine who demanded push ups when we did poorly. I did better at push ups than French unfortunately. I still remember how to say "I don't know" in French, however, so that's something.

Good that you have access to that forum and can pass along some good stuff to the rest of us.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anne,

We have the, them against us, French-English thing going here. Quebec has French only signs every where and a language police who enforce it with great vigor. There are French immersion schools schools here in British Columbia that you can enroll your children in French from kindergarten.
They are just a regular school with that option but you have to request it.

I am surprised that anyone who spoke Maori wouldn't have be happy to speak to you. A native white person who had taken the time to learn to speak their language I would have thought would have been a shoe in to have people more than happy to help expand your knowledge. My guess is they have been told that anyone who isn't one of us is one of them and to be avoided at all cost. Sad.

David is finding people as he goes along that are more than happy to exchange language lessons. Many people have been in the U.S. illegally and were sent back but spoke fluent English.

It seems that Guatemala City is divided into zones and he was looking for a hostel in Zone One. Every store has an armed guard in front of it and as David wandered around one of the guards stepped up to him and asked in English what he was doing in that part of town. He told him it was to dangerous for him to be there and pointed out where the hostel was and told him not to leave until morning and to get out of the area.

He heard later that there were companies that refused to deliver to stores in Zone One and they had to come and pick up what they wanted. He is a people person and is having a bunch of fun.

Steve.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Your a blessing and a treat in any language, Intrepid. I am sure they are just glad for such fine company.

("C'est la vie"

"La Vee")

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Steve, part of the problem that I had was due to our colonial past and all the social issues that surround that. As the recession bit and things became tough for those on the bottom of the heap these social issues only became worse and ended up polarising Maori and European society even more. There were many times that I was told, 'Oh it's alright for you, you're rich,' when my own circumstances as a social worker working part time with an on-going chronic illness we'ren't much better than the people I was working with on a daily basis.
I did have some success with speaking Te Reo with older Maori from the country, but I didn't really have the opportunity to do that very often.

Hey Dan I've just seen your post. You are an old flatterer and a sweetie, - thank you for saying that :)

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
When I was in high school I took two years of German. It was about the only subject, aside from 'easy' ones, that I did well in. I chose it simply because their culture struck me as more interesting than the others that were offered.

I did well enough that I could have gone there and done just fine getting around in everyday life.

But I live in North America. You don't get a chance to practice German here. So now I still know the grammar rules and could construct a sentence or a paragraph. But it's about forty years ago now and I have practically no vocabulary left.

So now I'm in a strange and unfortunate category; formerly bi-lingual. I chose the wrong foreign language to study.

I grew up in Detroit and also spent part of my youth in a rural area that was not far away. In those parts, when you ran into a foreign language it was French. I'm quite sure that I never ran into Spanish during my childhood. Then in my early twenties I headed for the west coast.

I drove for the best part of a day, then stopped for fuel or rest or both. Not far, if I remember right, from where I live now. I walked up to a pay phone. And there it was;
instructions written in Spanish.

Though I don't recall giving it a lot of thought, this didn't particularly surprise me. It was to be expected. Still, it was like a slap in the face or a knife in the heart. It hit me like a ton of bricks; I was giving up my home and many places, and things, that I was very fond of. I headed on out of there feeling truly sad or troubled, or something like that.

But it didn't last long. I expected my destination to be fun. And it was. I went to San Francisco and got a job as a bicycle messenger. It's hard to imagine a job that's more fun. We were dirt poor. But we had a blast.

One effect is that I've loved the bicycle ever since. I haven't been without one ever since and I've ridden a lot this whole time.

The folks around here think guys like me are peculiar. But they'd understand much better if they'd gone to one of the big cities and held a job like that.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
BGW, you were a San Francisco bicycle messenger, - wow that would have been amazing. No wonder you still enjoy bicycles so much.

German is a language that I never had any success with I'm afraid. Somehow French stuck with me and while I can't speak it for toffee for some years after I left high school I remained able to read French reasonably well. I suppose going back to brushing up my French by joining French language forums is one way to keep my mind agile. :)