Rough weather riders! I think you're my only hope..

GoldenMotor.com

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
My room mate works at home depot. I know what I'm having her pick up next time she works. @_@ If that stuff works as well as I think it may, I might just coat everything with it.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Goat - an update for ya

Talked my friend some more. He says the non-aerosol outdoor spray comes from Home Depot, usually in with the spray paint:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-NeverWet-11-oz-NeverWet-Outdoor-Fabric-Spray-278146/205160314

As for pants / outerwear / cold gear, he says USGI stuff is the best for riding. He uses this on his quad in the crappy weather (after waterproofing):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-Gen-II-Level-3-ECWCS-Polartec-200-black-fleece-pants-bib-overalls-USED-/131391626713?pt=US_Athletic_Clothing&var=&hash=item1e978d1dd9&rmvSB=true

So, for under 25 bucks - warm & dry.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
That polar fleece stuff might not be bad. Under about 30 deg F anyway.

And for wet weather I could always wear cheap PVC rain pants over top.

But I'll have to think about it a bit. I have more trouble keeping cool than keeping warm.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Electrically heated underwear?

I tried the stuff that is just out on the market last year or two ago, for drysuit electrically heated scuba diving under garments.

Now they have updated from older battery type to the Ferric something another. It is priced, well lets say not in my range. There might be some other manufacturers that make the stuff that cost less and would be OK for land use.

I always heard about electrically heated socks back 40 years ago, it might be shown in some outdoor sports sellers like Camphor.

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Electric-Socks-Pair/dp/B000IQTJQC saw these on Amazon for heated socks

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's plenty of motorcycle heated clothing about. A friend who's been a despatch rider in London reckons the gloves fail in daily hard use, so go for heated grips with covers to keep the wind off.

Provided you have the current to run the gear, you really would be immune to almost anything except polar extremes.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I've never tried heated clothing myself. The impression I've gotten over the years is that the cheap stuff doesn't work well and malfunctions easily. Or it works too well and overheats you.

I've never needed it anyway. My problem is getting rid of excess heat. Keeping heat is not the trouble at all. Though this is most pronounced on a pedal bike. It's less of a problem on a motor bike. No doubt of that.

Plus I've got a 'first try' product review here. My Frogg Toggs bib overalls.

They're very light. The fabric is strange stuff. Almost feels like tough paper towels.

I wore long johns plus cotton work trousers (slightly less thick than denim) and the Frogg Toggs.

This morning the wind chill factor was 15 or 20 degrees below 0 F. But the wind was at my back. This evening the wind chill was 7 below 0. But the wind was in my face.

In both cases my legs and mid-section were perfectly comfortable. The Frogg Toggs are more warm than I would have expected. Warm enough that I think I can skip the long johns and pants and go with one sweat pants instead in weather like this. I think I'll be just fine that way.

The Frogg Toggs are good. I'd even say that they're just what I've been looking for if they only had pockets.

But I'll work around the pocket issue. And these are nearly what I've been looking for.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I used to wear a ski suit under waterproofs and add layers under that depending on how cold it was. at -10C I was getting into work ready to take layers off some days.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. I know just what you mean, Ludwig.

I practically always (even in recent days with temps below 0 F) have to hang up my clothes, face mask, hat, socks, etc to dry. Luckily there's a small locker room at work. But even that might not really be enough. I'd fill the walls of that locker room with just my stuff. No one else needs that space in particular. But I'd feel a bit rude.

But I'm a bit luckier than that. I also have access to a large room that has plenty of space to hang these things up. Good airflow as well. At times during the workday there's another guy on my crew who has access to that room as well. Otherwise I suppose some bigwig or other could get in there. But that almost never happens. It doesn't happen without some reason. For that matter, I can get away with putting my bike in there to thaw on occasion. It's frowned upon. So I don't do it unless conditions are extreme.

If I didn't have that, then I'd have to be much more careful about just what I wear in different weather conditions. Otherwise I'd stink the place up too much. Or I'd just have to pack my stuff away and put on clammy clothes at the end of the day.

Neither alternative is very good.