Just finished bilding my new bike ....

GoldenMotor.com

ImMrFixit

Aug 6, 2014
dagget ca.
Hi everyone....
My wife bought me a new bike & motor kit. I put it together acording to the instructions letter by letter bolt by bolt...gassed it up and it started right off.
so I went for my maiden voyage.Rode about 13 miles at no more than 15-20 mph and as I turned a corner the motor started to back fire..about 4-5 times then quit.. I tryed everything to get it started. But no luck.So I headed home.
getting home I started to trobble shoot..It seems to be getting fuel & spark. But just wont start..

Dose anybody have any idea or know what I can try?
thanks ... bgmonstercck zpt

Attachments

Last edited:

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Why is your chain all wrapped up like that? Did you happen to throw the chain or something?

You are sure you are getting good spark?

The only thing I could think of would be if you bumped your petcock.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
The only time my bike has ever backfired, the mag. coil was trashed. I'd try to test the coil with an ohm meter. They go out randomly often, sometimes for no explainable reason. Another possibility is the spark plug cap. There are a few pieces inside that thing that could cause problems. Everyone will suggest dropping the stock one in the garbage. I wholeheartedly agree. Make certain that your wiring has a solid connection and did not hit your exhaust and melt and the connectors are not grounding out on the frame. Try the tests in the no start wonder thread. Don't get your username stuck in the chain ;)

ImMrFixit

Aug 6, 2014
dagget ca.
thanks. i'll check the mag. and spark plug boot.

the clutch cable slipped and i had o pop the master link in order to ride the bike home

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
also, do usual checks for oil seeping out somewhere around head & case seams & carb or muffler loose

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you may need to open both side covers & check the seals then

had a guy last week dropped his bike knocking the head a bit loose, air got in & backfired and blew a seal right out too

ImMrFixit

Aug 6, 2014
dagget ca.
(this is MRSFixit lol)

today we received the new magneto and cdi coil & a new NGK sparkplug (why not just be prepared for all possibilities right?) MR fixit spent less than 10 minutes and GUESS WHAT!! SHE"S RUNNING!!!! now if i could only get within 3 feet to FINALLLLLY ride MY bike!!! (ITS A 50/50 THING RIGHT?)

1 OR 12 TINY QUESTIONS... THE CLUTCH ARM SEEMS A LITTLE LOOSE AND FEELS LIKE ITS BARELY ENGAGING...THE MOTOR IS IDLING VERY HIGH... he turned down the mixture screw and it slowed the motor some but its still wanting to race...when he give it gas it goes but when he let off the gas it goes faster...HELP please?

you have all been so great!! looking forward to getting to take a ride for myself HOPEFULY TODAY HAHAHA...and a 2nd bike is already being planned for one of us next month....

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
A racing idle is a sign of an air leak. Check your throttle cable adjustment to be sure it's closing all the way. If it persists, look for air leaks at carb to manifold or manifold to engine joints.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A racing idle is a sign of an air leak. Check your throttle cable adjustment to be sure it's closing all the way. If it persists, look for air leaks at carb to manifold or manifold to engine joints.
Ditto: My thought is there is an air (vacuum) leak where the carburetor attaches to the intake manifold or the gasket between the manifold and the cylinder. Those are the most common places. You'll want to seal the carb to the manifold with a gasoline compatable sealant. The kit gaskets aren't anything to write home about either. They are prone to early failure. Make a new gasket from good automotive grade gasket material. The steel, chrome plated, intake manifilds are notorious for being warped from the welding process where they weld the flange to the tubular part. That warp can cause a leak. We recommend sanding or grinding the gasket sealing surface flat.

You'll want to torque the fasteners that hold the intake to the cylinder to about 60 inch pounds. Be careful. Those are only 6mm studs/nuts. Don't overtighten them.

Keep us posted on how things are going. We'll get you on the road. I promise, lady.

Tom

Last edited:

ImMrFixit

Aug 6, 2014
dagget ca.
OY!

to date (46 days and counting...) i have replaced a roken throttle, magneto, cdi coil TWO spark plugs and now i have to wait until next payday (septemer 13!!!) to replace a gasket....

my next purchase will most definitey NOT be a "kit" from rawmotors (purchased thru enginesonlineshop.com who has HORRIBLE customer service "skills").... SO i beg of you dear new friends.... from whom should my next purchase be made?? This truy is suppose to be our families source of transportation (we live 16 miles from Barstow, CA...) and it is exhorbitant in both currency AND wifely patience....

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well, I use rose326 on Ebay for all my kits. (25 plus and counting)
Good service and the best price I've found. Quality has been steadily improving and the recent kits are just about as good as I have seen.
Why pay more for a sticker, a riveted plate or some crappy website?
Paypal makes Ebay just as safe as any vendor.

ImMrFixit

Aug 6, 2014
dagget ca.
ummm... i may be looking at the wrong thing but rose326 i all lingerie.... definitely a soon to be gift but not the KIT im looking for lol (im not a regular internet shopper what am i doing wrong?)

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Hi ImMrFixit!

Cool looking bike, love the colors. Just not sure about the blue suede shoes? Any relation to Elvis? Hope you get it running. I went through similar problems on my first build. Oh wait I'm still going through similar problems lololol.
Geez I really like the colors. Maybe for my next build. But I'm gonna pass on the blue suede shoes k.

:-||

Dave
AssembleThis

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
ummm... i may be looking at the wrong thing but rose326 i all lingerie.... definitely a soon to be gift but not the KIT im looking for lol (im not a regular internet shopper what am i doing wrong?)
Maniac buys all his lingerie from Rose. Personally I like Victoria's Secret.

Tom

ImMrFixit

Aug 6, 2014
dagget ca.
Well... with the help of a friend I got the bike running nicely. Rode it back & forth for wok for almost a week... and then I crashed it...(MUST remember... dont look away from the road while traveling 25 mph...) the motor mount needs to be reattached an I need a new chain...an a new rear tire.

Wife was pretty happy for a few days haha. NOW she has her mind set on getting her own but she wants a 3 wheeler because she feel it'll be easier for her to handle. We're looking at Schwinn Meridian. pic i in thread My wife wants a motorized tricycle...Is there a different type of engine kit we need to get, or parts we'll need that wont be in a kit? Looking to purchasee asap any help woul be appreciated. Thanks