Really hard to pedal, new Bike Motor Kit, Not starting

GoldenMotor.com

MechRyan

May 18, 2014
Florida
I don't know if it starts or not yet, but I am having a lot of trouble with just getting the thing moving, the bike doesn't even budge unless I am holding the clutch, and when I am holding the clutch it is VERY hard to pedal where I can't even make it out of my driveway. If I walk the bike, its like I'm holding the bike brake and the tire slides across the ground, any Idea what is wrong and how to fix, thanks. Link to the exact kit I bought. I have the all the Items that are first shown on the webpage BTW. http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/default.htm
For now I must just dance nextto my bike dance1

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

^^^ This. ^^^

There should be zero slack in the cable when you adjust your clutch cable with the hand lever released.

Sometimes, if you've got the drive chain too tight, it will also be hard to pedal. We want just a very little play in the chain. Also, make sure your tensioner roller is actually rolling.

Howdy & welcome!! Once you get your machine going, they are a lot of fun!

Good luck in ironing out the issues.

MechRyan

May 18, 2014
Florida
Well the Clutch seems to be fine with its tension. Its really hard to move the gear that moves the chain, it almost has a clicking to it.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Might try lowering the roller a touch. Also, make sure the roller is 'aligned' with the chain. Many times, you have to twist the upright slightly so the chain will roll straight on the roller.

MechRyan

May 18, 2014
Florida
Alright I will do that tommorow, because its 11:15, thanks for the help, hopefully we can get this up and running tommorow, I spent 3 hours fiddling with the Roller, its a weird one.

MechRyan

May 18, 2014
Florida
But I was having this problem before the roller was on its just really hard for the gear to turn inside the engine. what should I do for that?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
After you get it running, check out turbobuick1's tensioner. I've got his first commercially sold unit......best thing I've done. Picts in my album.

Again, good luck!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
But I was having this problem before the roller was on its just really hard for the gear to turn inside the engine. what should I do for that?

Go though the steps in the link that Maniac provided. If anything, it's good to learn how the clutch works on these engines.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
when trying to decide if the clutch is dragging or chain is binding, it helps to remove the spark plug - if it rolls better then, it was the clutch

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Noob here! Just joined forum but it sounds like your wheel bearings are bad. A guy on you tube did a video. He just finished his China Girl on a cruiser took it out for a ride did 30 something for a while and his rear wheel locked up. After seeing that I decided to take my wheels apart on my new cruiser. Sure enough the rear bearings were dry. Apparently China is saving money on lube, or they have a bad assembler, what ever, whats important don't even try to ride without taking your wheels apart first. Hope that helps .bld.

MechRyan

May 18, 2014
Florida
Alright this is the issue, if I try to move the bike, the tire just skids on the ground because the gear in the motor is very hard to move without the motor running and as soon as the motor shuts off, it locks up agian, when the motor is running, it works fantastic, but the only way to get it stated is having someone push you hard enough to force the gear to move.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if the bike doesn't roll freely with the clutch pulled then take out the spark plug - now, if it doesn't roll well the chain or back wheel is binding, if it rolls better with plug out, then the clutch is binding

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well the Clutch seems to be fine with its tension. Its really hard to move the gear that moves the chain, it almost has a clicking to it.
What do you mean by this? How did you determine that the clutch "seems to be fine".

My gut feeling is you don't have the cable tensioned correctly. Have you read the tutorials that others have offered you here? They all address how to properly install and set the tension on the clutch cable. If the cable is too loose then you will have the problem you've described; the back wheel doesn't spin free with the clutch lever pulled (disengaged).

Did you by any chance loose any parts from the clutch actuator? There is a steel pin, called a bucking bar, that protrudes from the center of the engine drive sprocket. Behind that pin is a ball bearing. It isn't uncommon for either of those parts to fall out unnoticed and then no matter how tight the cable is, the clutch won't disengage.

Also, the engine drive sprocket, especially on a new engine will be hard to rotate. You probably won't be able to turn it with your fingers even with the spark plug removed. That in itself isn't a problem, yet.

Tom

Last edited:

MechRyan

May 18, 2014
Florida
I found out it has something to do with the spark plug r compression, when the spark plug isn't in, the bike moves fine, when it is in, the back motor and crankshaft gear don't work

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
buy a cheap hand impact driver - an absolute 'must' for some things on these motors

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree. Essential tool for these cheese hardened phillips head engines.
Once you get it out, yank the rest and replace with allen head capscrews.