Hi from down under

GoldenMotor.com

David eulen

May 11, 2012
Albury, Australia
G-day from Australia. My name is Dave and I built a fantastic bike.I'd ride it all over the place having a real blast. The local cops nabbed some dickhead riding around drunk making a pest of himself and now there is a blitz, so I can't ride it (sob). They say the law is you can't be any more than 200 watts, so, has anyone out there got any hints how to detune the motor so I can go riding again.

Ozy Dave auflg

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
High Dave ,and welcome to the forum. There is a section category in this forum on electric bikes. With a electric bike you should not have to worry much. Those are ghost bikes and the motors do not jump out at people like the big loud gas ones do.

David eulen

May 11, 2012
Albury, Australia
Gday Blankenstein. thanks for the welcome. I have thaught about electric bikes but, a decent electric bike here would cost $1,200 to $1,500 and I can't afford that. My petrol bike cost all up $320 and I had the enjoyment of building it myself. Cheers to all in Canada. (I'll get there one day).

Ozy Dave

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
You're welcome David, and ya, same here with the price-In Edmonton Alberta, they start at around 1700 bucks!!!! Ive got two motors-Bridgestone 35 and 48cc the 35 has lasted me for 4 years now, and it's still running!! My 48 is sitting in a box on stand by.
Anyway, have fun at this forum- is a big help- about 3 months ago, my throttle cable snapped at the handlebar end, and I repaired using a part that I learned to make from this very forum in the Norm section. And it is still on there and working great!!!!!!

David eulen

May 11, 2012
Albury, Australia
Thanks for the info mate. this forum will be handy, I"ve got next week end off so I'll delve into it and get some info and ideas. nice talking to you Blankenstein.

Cheers
Ozy Dave auflg

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I was talking to some minimoto racers at the weekend, they recommended a tiny carb and a choked exhaust pipe/silencer. Also, limit throttle movement so it's nice and gutless.

David eulen

May 11, 2012
Albury, Australia
Thanks Ludwig 11. I don't want it too gutless, just under 200 watts so the cops will leave me alone. limiting the throttle movement sounds good. I can lower the needle in the carby so Its getting less fuel, I have thought about putting an extra head gasket in it to lower the compression. Time for a cold can of Fosters.. cheers all...

Ozy Dave

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
200 watts, somebody somewhere is taking the weewee, mate. I can get away with 1kw, so the legal top speed for the lowest class of 16mph can be achieved. 200w is geriatric mobility socoter territory.

Last edited:

Kirkey

Jul 21, 2012
Sydney
200 watts, somebody somewhere is taking the weewee, mate. I can get away with 1kw, so the legal top speed for the lowest class of 16mph can be achieved. 200w is geriatric mobility socoter territory.
Na mate, it's 50cc/max 200 watts here in new south wales australia. Other states might be different but idk.

Just ride the thing and when you see the fuzz just pedal with the motor. Or if they stop you just tell them its a 50cc pedal assisted bicycle, as long as you got lights for night time, helmet and maybe some hi vis just tell them its legal and ride off rambling about catching the real criminals and stop harrassing tax payers lol.

I do and it works.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The smallest carb I can find here for the engine I want to use is a 10.5mm Walbro. That equates to 2/3 of the cross sectional area of a 12.5 version. It wouldn't alter low speed torque, but merely cap the top end and peak power.

The other question is what's available in small cc, like the 22cc petrol stand on scooters we get here, or 25cc garden equipment engines? Small cc is probably the easiest way to have a low output in the first place.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What do the Rotary licence built Saxonette engine/wheel sets come out at? I think they're 30cc.

David eulen

May 11, 2012
Albury, Australia
No one is taking the piss, a bloke here got pinged by the cops and his bike was confiscated, put on a dyno, it was over 200 watts, the cops say it is a unregistered and ininsured motorbike and he was fined over $1000

David eulen

May 11, 2012
Albury, Australia
Na mate, it's 50cc/max 200 watts here in new south wales australia. Other states might be different but idk.

Just ride the thing and when you see the fuzz just pedal with the motor. Or if they stop you just tell them its a 50cc pedal assisted bicycle, as long as you got lights for night time, helmet and maybe some hi vis just tell them its legal and ride off rambling about catching the real criminals and stop harrassing tax payers lol.

I do and it works.
I'll try that mate. the cops have got a blitz happening here in Albury because of some dickhead riding around pissed, I'll waite till it cools down a tad.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Less than 1/3 of a horse. The Honda People friction driver was imported into NZ, (only 4 of them) and that sounds about right, they struggled to move under their own steam on the flat. There's a link on the Icencicam page somewhere.

I had never thought about restricting an engine before I came in here, and I thought I was struggling, but your regs take you into a different league.

I have an idea. Horrible engineering, but what about a spring loaded tensioner and micro switch on the top run of the chain? As power/torque rises, the arm moves and cuts the sparks.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
David,

There is someone in Oz with gas motors that past the piss test. They aren't going to slide you out from under your hair with power but then the judge won't be sliding your wallet out from under you either.

Hope you get to Canada. It's a great place to be.

Steve.

David eulen

May 11, 2012
Albury, Australia
Thanks Steve
I have thaught about that, there's a place down in Melbourne that sells these motors, I'll have to get one, **** I miss my Sunday arvo rides around the countryside with a couple of cans of beer, light of coarse..

Dave

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Hey mate,

200watts, and keeping it under 50kph it legal.

over that, pretend to pedal, dont attract attention to yourself. you will be good.

go to the local trophy shop and get a plate convincingly made engine plate, that has the following engravings on it:

manufacture name
200 watts engine output
a serial number
anything else that will make it look pro

failing that checkout these fully legal 200watt petrol ht engines.

http://www.zbox.com.au/200watt bicycle engine.htm

http://shop.rocksolidengines.com.au...&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

by memory, just the RS 200watt certified engine is about $160+p&p by itself.

I dont have a problem with the feds in the ACT. I just dont do any lewd acts in front of them.

David eulen

May 11, 2012
Albury, Australia
Ta Soup325
I got my motor from Powercycles Australia in melbourne and that plate idea sounds good. I've got rellies in Canberra which we visit regulary, I might chuck the bike in the back of the ute next time and go for a ride aroung those great bike tracks you have there.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
the bike tracks are great. I like it how you can ride from one end of the city to the other without riding on the road.

blasting through the concrete underpasses WOT, is the best.

I dont think I would have bought an MB if it wasn't for all the bike tracks around here.

I hope to get my MB back on the road after a shift kit and IGH upgrade, before too long.

safe travel. dont forget to 'ghost pedal'

David eulen

May 11, 2012
Albury, Australia
Hay soup325, is there a company in Canberra or near by that sells bike motors? next month I'm going down to melbourne to get a 48cc motor, but Camberra would be better coz I know my way around Camberra. I'll keep the 70cc motor but when the fuzz become a pest I'll use the 48cc, that will f#*K them...He He He..