Chain jumps off what to do?????

GoldenMotor.com

zuidelyjke

May 15, 2012
utah
Hi I'm new to this but i just installed my grubee GT5 on a 10 speed frame and i've broken two chains now and am out of ideas of how to fix this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm a pretty good do it your selfer and every thing lines up and about a 1/2 of play using the tensioner wheel that i am seriously considering eliminating the tensioner all together. Any one have any other ideas. :-||:-||:-||

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Just a guess. See if your tensioner is tilted in such a way as to actually derail the chain. I had leaned my tensioner away from the chain stay a bit to prevent the chain from rubbing it. I figured it out by looking down on the chain, perpendicular to the ground.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome, make sure the engine is mounted solid to the frame without any movement whatever. Then install the chain and tighten it so that it has about 1/2 movement on the top or return chain, then hold or lock in the clutch and roll the bike watching the chain as it rides over the tensioner. If it runs inthe center of the tensioner that's good if not roll it backwards and see if it moves to the other side of the tensioner, if so you wil either align the tensioner or bend it slightly to make the chain roll over straight. It takes some time to wear off the rough edges of some sprockets , just keep an eye on the tightness and alignment. Good luck

motovator

May 16, 2012
Southern Maine
Hi I'm new to this but i just installed my grubee GT5 on a 10 speed frame and i've broken two chains now and am out of ideas of how to fix this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm a pretty good do it your selfer and every thing lines up and about a 1/2 of play using the tensioner wheel that i am seriously considering eliminating the tensioner all together. Any one have any other ideas. :-||:-||:-||
I just put my 3rd chain on and i think ive FINALLY figured it out. NOW..I put the tension wheel all the way down at first...shorten chain (take links out) to have only bout 1/4" slack..make sure the chain is a new one. ALLL my chains i was trying to re-use after jumping off or that i "pieced" together failed. The chain might click loudly when u first take off..if so .."ride" the clutch till noise goes away..so as not to snap it. After chain heats up 10 or 15 min. ride u should have lot of slack again..keep tensioning each time till its stretched well. They sell a 410 at my local bike shop (BMX chain) for 12.99. Good luck!!! MOTOVATOR.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Could I make a suggestion? Stop replying to a member who comes here, asks a question then doesn't reply. It's been eight days since the OP asked for advice and he hasn't had the courtesy to reply to what we have offered.

If you can't reply to our advice then please don't waste our time.

This reminds me of when I hold a door open for someone, he/she walks through and doesn't have the courtesy to say thank you. Totally rude and inconsiderate behavior that doesn't warrant further help.

Tom

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'm sorry Tom.

and I get really embarrassed when pretty girls hold the door for me...

but I always try to say thanks!
rc

skinnywheelz

May 27, 2012
Clarksville, TN
I have use the spring loaded chain tensioner sold on ebay ... this guy makes them his self .. CNC Machined, it bolts on to the motor and he uses skateboard tires as the roller. Similar to the Pirate Cycles Kip Springer Chain Tensioners at half the price. He just emailed me this morning, he is out of the tensioners and rollers but here is the link of what they look like http://www.ebay.com/itm/23078648566...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1268..
I have one on my bike and after purchasing other tensioners and having them fail, this one is the best in my opinion.