The bearing doctor!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
That the seals should be AWAY from the crank? I'm getting the idea that the experts here are suggesting that the open-side of the bearings should face outwards. Would you geniuses set me straight?
lol.. no. what u said is what im understanding.
the open bearing should FACE the crank. like u said to allow them to bathe in pre-mix.

is there someone around with more experience than i? im only learning this part myself :s

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Put the open side facing the ''inside'' of the engine. That is the only way that poor bearing is going to get oil!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
That the seals should be AWAY from the crank? I'm getting the idea that the experts here are suggesting that the open-side of the bearings should face outwards. Would you geniuses set me straight?
The clutch shaft bearings should be sealed on both sides. There is no internal lubrication from the engine to lube these bearings. If no seals are used, the bearing will burn up.

On the crankshaft the oil/fuel needs to lubricate these bearings. When the bearing is in place you will see the bearing seal. Also the crankshaft has (2) seals that mount outside the bearing. These seals help with a loss of compression sometimes found in these engines.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I wonder if the double sealed bearing has sufficient quantity/quality lube inside to run the crank without the oil from the fuel ??!!??

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I Sprayed mine with Marvel Mystery Oil then let the oil penitrate for a few days, not so much to lubricate but to prevent a dry start and heat friction, the Mystery Oil will also attract oil from fuel mixture.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I wonder if the double sealed bearing has sufficient quantity/quality lube inside to run the crank without the oil from the fuel ??!!??
With these engines running such a high RPM, I wouldn't take the chance. It might but why even think about it at all. The clutch shaft is another story...the RPM's are cut way down.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
you cannot rely on the outer seal of the bearing to hold your crankcase compression you must use external seals .and Ron's right put the good ones in

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
so there is a total of 6 bearings,
(2) 6202 both sides sealed
(2) 6202 one side sealed (or no seals and get external seals - 15X35X7 & 14.8X27X3.8)
(1) top piston rod (wrist pin) - 10X14X13
(1) bottom piston rod - 10x14x15

right??

EDIT; this would be for the 66ht....
NO!! Do NOT use a bearing for the crankshaft that doesn't have a outer seal. I had a engine come that way, and it didn't last as long as I thought it should of have. Why even think about a seal less bearing...it's not like it would save money to start with.

George Tigges

Sep 3, 2019
Have a 66 cc engine want to place crank case bearings with Timken 62022RSC3 bearings 15 x 35 x 11 mm but they have rubber grease seals compared to stock that has metal gease seals is it ok to use Timken they make best bearings