Tooo wet

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
So this morning I look outside and its pouring. At first I was just glad that I tied up a tarp on my bike the night before, but then I saw that the bike itself had tipped over!

I don't like to keep my bike outside but we just moved into a new place on Saturday and I can't keep it in the garage for now. Anyway, after reconnecting the ground wire which had come off from the kickstand area of the frame when the bike tipped, I headed off to work. Now, I don't usually ride in the rain but this was my first chance to.

I have to say, other than the consistent worry of shorting my magneto, it was really freakin fun! I got to work dripping and smiling.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
One thing I do is to rtv the mag cover and where the wires go into the motor to prevent any water or moisture in the magneto. I cannot count the times I have ridden in the rain.

I don't like riding in the rain during winter gets a little colder then I like. But a ride on a nice summer rainy day is awesome!

I could not video my ride in the rain or I would have killed my camera, but here is a ride after a summer storm.

Motorized Bicycle After Thunder Storm - YouTube

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I concur with Dave RTV that puppy seal it up.
Could you please tell me more about this rvt? Sorry I'm a newb, sorta. I'm guessing it's a sealant, I've been thinking of using hot glue gun to seal magneto from water. Is it like gasket sealant for hotter use?

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
Rained over here too, we must be close, but back to the bike in the garage. Look around and see if the water heater is 2 feet off the floor and some air can get under the big door just in case the bike falls over again and some gas leaks out. Maybe I worry too much but we don't want to loose a biker.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Yeah, it rained where I live today too. I keep my bike in the garage so no worries. You can buy bike covers at a LBS or Wal-Mart.

I saw someone here with their wires routed through a plastic tube. This would probably be an easy way to prevent the wires from shorting. Some silicone sealant may also work well and keeping out water.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Ya the first thing I did when I got home was take off the mag cover. So far so good.

I'm going to seal it better than it is now when I get home today, does anyone know where you would buy RTV in a store rather than online? Instead of a bike cover I'm using a heavy duty tarp with some handy sewing done to make it fit my bike more closely.

Since I took off the low-quality fenders on my bike when I mounted the engine so they wouldn't cause future issues, I'm getting serious rooster-tails when I'm riding through the wet. $6 poncho from Wal-mart took care of that for me!

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
We stopped using silicone on the bare wire down at the garage, the vinegar in it would corrode the wires. They now use a tube of stuff, some kind of weather strip thats yellow. Silicone works ok on the outside of the coverd wire. I'm older than dirt so no riding in the rain for me, but back in my day as the other guy said, all my bikes had my blood on them.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Well Ditch your keeping up with an awesome hobby and your riding a bike! I wouldn't say your too old for anything!

I think I'm going to seal it up tomorrow I have dinner to make and a million errands for the wife after a ten hour workday. Geez. I did just install a Dax RT carb and took it around the the block a few times though! Sooo much better than my old stock NT.

Anybody think the rain will affect it differently than the stock NT?