Is this happy or sad :/

GoldenMotor.com

thepolarpandabear

Jun 11, 2011
Michigan
A few days ago I stopped at the local bike shop after school to buy new break pads. As I'm locking my bike up in front of the shop, I happened to look be hind me and I seen a 5-7 y/o blind boy walking into the with his parents. The boy was happy that he was going to get his first bike.(we all had that excitement before its majical) as I'm buying the break pads I see the boy feeling his new bike (this is the happy part) then he askes his parents where the front wheel is (at this point the smile on my face disappered) he was getting a tag-A-long bike :/ I'm thinking that he thought he was going to ride all over his neighborhood and have the freedom that we all had with our first bike.

This happened a few days ago and I had to gather my thoughts as you can see I have mixed emotions.....

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
I got my 4 year old a Tag-A-Long for family rides, but she also got a little bike that she can ride on her own and with her siblings. I don't think that I would take my kid for their "first bike" and get them a Tag-A-Long.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Hmmm...There's got to be a way to mod a bike, or build a bike, to make it safe enough for even a blind kid to ride - as long as somebody with eyes can watch for fast-approaching trouble. Maybe a special bumper-type contraption? Maybe also a laser range-finder thing that beeps well before you're about to hit a wall?

On a related note: I think if you Google the right way, you'll read about the blind guy who learned make his own sonar clicks, just like bats do, so he could ride a bike without hitting anything. He rides on trails though, where there are no cars. He claims he can teach others how to do it.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i remember when i was a kid seeing a bike that would fit.
it was used for twin brothers. one was either blind or severely autistic. the other wasn't afflicted.
it was two bikes welded in parallel. they were about 3 feet apart.
i don't remember how the steering was done.
it gives that person a position that isn't subordinate in control.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
It's been awhile since I've logged in. Been going through some of life's trials myself. I felt compelled to respond to this one however. It's my belief that God blesses us all with something special. It's our job to look for it and use it.
A small blind child wanting to ride a bike can bring a lump in our throat to most any person. Their desire to be normal and do normal things is human nature. Children can be more resiliant than we adults give them credit for.
I recently taught my 4 year old to ride a bike and the joy on her face is something I will never forget. Our job as parents is to create the best memories for our children that we can. Children can often find the most joy in the small things we do for them. Taking them bike riding is a good example.
This child may have understood that his bike was a little different and a special bike for him. Most likely he'll find great pleasure in riding with his folks
and still enjoy the wind in his face. He is blessed to have parents that care enough to give him the best that they can. Not all kids, blind or not have loving parents unfortunately. Take a kid bike riding today! Give them a hug and tell them how special they are. It's our job as parents.
God bless.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I know this thread is several days old... but that might be a big first step for that kid!
I think that this will be a great feeling for him to ride bicycles with his parents.

I know that God looks at children born with disabilities with extra love! ;)

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
The thought of the kid not enjoying the same freedom we all enjoyed of riding a bike solo for the first time is disheartening. However, as said above knowing that this kid unlike so many others have careing parents who hope to share all the simple enjoyments in life so many over look and take for granted, reinsures the thought of loving human nature.

Just a responce: I didn't bring it up but, if you truly believe in "GOD," don't you also understand it was "GOD's" actions that caused is very unfortunate disability? Just saying.