Giving Up!

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
So I am about to give up on my 2-stroke china engine which I put on a 26" cruiser. It was my first bike and served me well (if by well you mean unholy nightmare) for the last few months. Got to work today and when I left for lunch it wouldn't start. Pretty sure it is the magneto after some troubleshooting / cursing.

Basically I'm at the point of buying a new bike and engine kit and am wondering if I should go the pre-assembled route as well as if I should the switch to a 4-stroke. I wanted to get some of your guy's opinions on the 4-stroke idea as well as some tips towards where I should buy my new rig. My wallet is far from fat so I don't want to spend too much, but I am sick and tired of these $30-$50 repairs every couple weeks.

To sum this all up;
What do you guys think about switching to 4-stroke?

Where should I buy for best price/quality?

Thanks everyone

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
4-strokes can be great bikes, but a well built 2-stroke can offer more 'bang for the buck' & good reliability; IMHO. ;)

If you search around here there's plenty of good info on both! (^)

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Staton or DAX fd kit is about the cheapest 4 stroker you can get thats reliable. Just like a car get on it and ride. You'd be foolish not to check it over though before you ride.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
the only problem i had with the actual engine i have ever had,(besides pulled exhaust stud) was a magneto.
the bad news. it most likely not the engine's fault. if the mag gets wet. it shorts out.
the good news is mags are super cheep.
seal off the mag part of the case better than it all ready is.
a 4stroke won't work either if the electric is wet.

SlickmisterN

Feb 27, 2009
Napa
IMHO a 2-stroke china kit will never be as reliable as a 4-stroke Honda. I've had mine running 100% everyday for the last 4 years. If you had purchased a quality American built kit in the first place you'd have spent the same money, had less down time, more over-all fun and a product you know will last well into the future instead of worrying whether your finicky 2-smoke is going to start in the morning and be able to get you to work... When you run out of gas you can pull into any station not having to worry about pre-mix, and as people become more aware of pollution and the environmental effects of burning fossil fuels 2-strokes will be even further ostracized and looked down upon. Just my .02 cents

P.S. I operate my rig rain or shine. Water doesn't do a thing to the fully sealed electronic ignition system in a 4-stroke

Last edited:

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I run a 4 stroker from thatsdax.com.......it's quiet and has tons of low end torque. It's not a speed demon, but it will cruise at 22-24 mph and it starts right up. I've ridden 2 strokers for 5 years and I recently bought one of Duane's 4 strokers(thatsdax.com) and I'll never go back to a 2 stroker.

Duane will take care of you....he does motors right :)