Plug wire/boot failed, cant remove them.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
I was riding, and i noticed that my engine was skipping a few fires, and i checked to make sure the plug boot and wire were on snug, and they fell apart in my hands. I tried to get the plug wire out of the CDI, but it is stuck in there. I am going to go to a mower shop and get a new wire/boot setup, but need to get the old ones out first, and i cant!!!

Please help, i want to ride again :( :-||

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
use a small tool that will not damage the hard plastic. if all else fails take it to the lawn mower place & watch how easy it is done.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The wire screws into the CDI. Unscrew it like decoherence said. If you find it is also glued then use a small sharp tool to dig the glue out. The new wire will screw back in. Once the wire is out you will see the threaded contact. It looks like the end of a small sheetmetal or wood screw protruding from the CDI's socket. That will screw into the core of the new wire.
You won't hurt the CDI.
Also you'll want to replace the plug boot with a good automotive quality part.
Good luck.
Tom

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
try to get a copper core. a couple of people have been able to use the resistant type. mine wouldn't start with the resister cores.. so i put a new boot on the original wire & it works.