Homemade or Altered Frames

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm gathering more information again! Who has built your own frame or altered your frame to the point that the serial number isn't there any longer?

Terry

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
I have altered a bunch of my frames. yet to do one from scratch but saving for a pipe bender. whats the question ya got?

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Basically, I want to know if you changed your bike so much that you don't have a serial number.

When it comes to registering a bicycle, IF a state wants to use a serial number, that could leave out homemade/altered bicycles. In future discussions with politicians I want to be able to head off any attempts at using serial numbers by showing that a lot of people don't have them.

Terry

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
I really have not given it much attention. I do not believe that my area requires regisratation. sorry I could not be of any help.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i'm pretty sure my micargi frame doesn't have a serial.
when i was @ the tax place i went outside with the women to see if i could find one.
so i crouched down & tried to look up & the bottom of the bottom bracket.
i found my self in a position to look up her skirt.
she was so helpful that i didn't take advantage by looking.

the lady told be if any of the main items like a tank, engine, or frame had a serial that would work well for a VIN.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
but that isn't unique to only your bike. it defeats the purpose of identifying yours from someone with the same style of equipment.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Actually I don't think a bicycle serial number would be unique. It would for that manufacturer only. Another bike could have the same number. In fact I could probably guarantee it. Serial numbers are usually an ID for when the unit was made. A control number.

Terry

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
then a mix of what was prev said & the bike serial.
use the bike company & model as the first 2 letters of the VIN.
i just got to thinking the tax lady told me something about "if it was etched somewhere she could use it.
& i remember my neighbour said he just made up a # for his home made trailer.
i'm going to go back up to the tax office & see if i give myself a serial first. she can then use that as a made up VIN.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
If you make your own frame YOU (technically) are the manufacturer. Just stamp some numbers and letters on the bottom bracket and call it a serial number.

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
Another thread addressed this for about 3 years, it will take you about 3 days to read it all. They had some good arguements but some were police officers. Everything out here in Cal needs to be registered, one time only for less than 20 dollars, no serial number needed. If you leave the box blank they will give you one. I'm building my own frame and if I ever get it finished thats my plan. Bikes get stolen out here ( lost 2 last year) so it might be a good idea to weld your name to the side in large letters. Good luck, building is the most fun.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Technically, if you want to build new motorcycles -- choppers, trikes, etc -- LSVs (light neighborhood vehicles), or trailers, you need to first get licensed and registered with the USDOT. This license enables you to issue 17 digit manufacturer Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) and Manufacturer Certificates of Origin (MCOs) which are acceptable in all states and throughout the world as pre-titles to your complete vehicles.