Very FIRST Build. Anything im missing? (PICS)

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hope ya get back riding soon, the withdrawal symptoms can be terrible lol ;)

Figured I'd mention my favorite mirror, I originally thought it'd only be "good enough" till I found something better, but years & thousands of miles have passed and I'm lovin' it!

It's reversible so ya can have two matching if ya want and folds in for narrow doorways/hitting something, ofc there's some "blurring" while the engine is screaming, but ya can defo still see what's goin' on. Despite being obv made of glass & plastic, I've still not managed to break it & I clip doorways, tree branches & the occasional coworker all the time o_O

Great... I jus' jinxed myself didn't I? >.<

Bikeman: Mirrycle Mountain Handlebar Mirror

Last edited:

Bmoney

Apr 20, 2011
Sterling, Ma
Ill grab a choke core if I run into any problems with it.

I'm going to take your word on it and grab one of those mirrors.. it looks pretty nice.

Also any opinions on boost bottles? Is there a noticeable difference when using one?

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The "boost bottle" debate has been raging on forever... my thought being if it's that "debatable" then it's prolly a placebo effect/inadvertently repaired intake leak or w/e... still, do a quick search to see the debates fer yerself lol

Ya mentioned the NOS "kits" then pulled an edit heh, still here's mine babble as I'd typed it anyway :p

The cheap nitrous kits offered for these engines are really just toys, yes - they do provide a brief, marginal increase in power, but it's uncontrolled & unsustainable, nothing like a real NOS system.

It's a "dry injection" system with nothing but a port in the stock intake manifold - the problems with this is not only is there no corresponding increase of fuel, but as the port is after the carburetor it displaces the fuel/air charge and causes a lean condition as well as reducing the gain you'd normally have. Real "wet injection" systems have variable fuel injection to prevent this, but now we're talkin' "real" money too lol ...I seem to remember seeing a fuel injection system & wet NOS conversion applicable for the 50cc range somewhere, prolly pitbike stuff (around $600 for the whole kit)... can't find the link ATM but here's just a fuel injection conversion system to give you an idea (dunno if small e'nuff for our stuff): MBE Motorsports inc. : 2 Stroke EFI Conversion Kit [ECO1C2T] - $359.89USD

So yea, you can use one of the lil cheap NOS kits for a bit of fun - but don't expect much and yea, you can harm the motor from a lean condition... I s'pose you could try putting the injector before the venturi to help provide some fuel (like inside the air filter), mebbe run the carby a bit rich if yer planning on using the NOS a bunch. The cartridges themselves are actually for recharging whipped cream dispensers BTW...

Bmoney

Apr 20, 2011
Sterling, Ma
Solid input man, I appreciate it. Those are just things I was curious about. I'm pretty content with going about 35mph anyways. That's plunty fast on a bicycle imo lol. But like I said ill be receving my engine on Tuesday/Wednesday of next week so ill be updating as soon as I'm off and running again! I seriously am experiencing some withdrawals hahah. Mb's are just to much fun to ride. I've been spreading the word like crazy and I've gotten 2 other people to build their own as well..

Bmoney

Apr 20, 2011
Sterling, Ma
Wow, I have to say that efi is pretty wild. Know of anyone one here that's tried it? Definitely somthing to consider.. I probably wouldn't go adding a wet shot of NOS to my $500+ dollar engine tho haha, but electronic fuel injection with a tunable ecu?? That sounds pretty good to me.
Although Thats is some serious money to be spending on a "trial".. and better hope that company doesn't go under because I'm sure you'll be needing a replacement part or two down the line.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've no idea if anyone's tried that EFI system on a motor in the 50cc range, I can't say I'd think it worth it w/one of the HT kits TBH. I was looking into supercharging a 50cc four stroke at the time, but scrapped the idea & went another route... Still interesting stuff tho: supercharging :D

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
looks great man!!!

My first bike was a redline mx11...I GAVE IT AWAY TO A NEPHEW!! wish i still had it i love the old bmx's.
A lay back post would improve your ride oh and some nut protectors (pads)if you hit the dirt. rIDE oN!

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
So I seized up my piston about a month ago and haven't touched the bike since. I know I would have been a cheap fix but.... I decided to go ahead and order a whole new kit instead. I ordered the 66cc grubee race kit. I've read a lot of bad things about the so called v2 racing carb that comes with it so my question is, should I bother trying to get it working with that carb or just use my previous one? It ran fine with my last setup and its still on the bike so it'd be a lot easier to just use the old one if it runs decent with the new grubee motor. Any ideas??
I have that engine kit and its awsome....Lots of Power...yes the carbie did bogg down at full thottle up until about 550km then it has opened up as the engine run in....the bike did shake and carry on for that period but i can tell you it is smooth and responsive with that carb now.....also i think the expansion chamber i fitted has opened up the carb alot like a match.

Bmoney

Apr 20, 2011
Sterling, Ma
I've no idea if anyone's tried that EFI system on a motor in the 50cc range, I can't say I'd think it worth it w/one of the HT kits TBH. I was looking into supercharging a 50cc four stroke at the time, but scrapped the idea & went another route... Still interesting stuff tho: supercharging :D
Ya that's pretty insane that its even possibly to supercharge such a small engine. That's way to much for me to jump into with my level of experience lol. Also can I ask what route you ended up chosing instead? :)

Bmoney, you never mentioned where you are from.
I'm from sterling, Massachusetts.

I have that engine kit and its awsome....Lots of Power...yes the carbie did bogg down at full thottle up until about 550km then it has opened up as the engine run in....the bike did shake and carry on for that period but i can tell you it is smooth and responsive with that carb now.....also i think the expansion chamber i fitted has opened up the carb alot like a match.
I'm glad to hear some good feed back for the kit! How many miles have you gotten out of yours so far? Also have you had to fix or replace anything on it that wouldn't be considered regular maintenance? I may end up trying out the v2 carb.. it all depends on if I'm feeling lazy or not lol.

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
The 66 superrat should be available as an engine only replacement ;you can save on all the other gear you already have ...look into it here in oz brand new for 195bucks....the clutch plates can be sticky a common problem because they sit a bit before being woken up. Just rock it in gear clutch leaver in and you'll hear a ping the plates have released!
With the engine I've had to replace the crank shaft seal at 300ks that's it the motor sounds awsome now just be really paitent with the running in of your engine oily fuel to start more than they recomend it will give those new parts a good start and 25 min rides max on an off the thottle on small hills are good.Oh I'm on 700km which is around 400miles and it's strong no problems so far touch wood!!

Last edited:

Bmoney

Apr 20, 2011
Sterling, Ma
So I got my new engine in and running today. Used my old carb didn't wanna mess with the v2. Ended up riding it about 15 miles to work.. Ran great the whole way.. let's home the ride home goes as well. Here's a few pics.

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
I woud get another set of brakes on the front if i was you.....the extra weight and speed you'll need them.....
you can get a dual pull leaver to operate both at the same time...

.wee.