Hey, Gang,

GoldenMotor.com

Jitenchakun

Apr 14, 2011
USA
I'm Jitenchakun. It kinda means "Bicycle-Boy" in Japanese, though I'm a native of California. (I just like Japanese culture too.)

I'm a big bicycle rider! Actually, I've always been a pure "sweat & muscle" cyclist, but now, since I'm a mechanical designer & a machinist, I wanna get creative. I wanna build crazy cool stuff, like a recumbent with a stirling engine in the back, or maybe even a nutating disk engine that runs on steam. Lots of ideas.

I'm here looking for wisdom & inspiration. Where can I read up on augmenting a pedal-driven system with motor-power in a smooth & efficient manner? Has anyone built a steam-aided cycle? What about chemical rocket boosters? (Is that over the top? :p)

In any case, I've already been finding good info here since this morning. I look forward to hearing thoughts from all of you with more experience than me.

Best,

Jack
usflg

Jitenchakun

Apr 14, 2011
USA
how bout a recumbant qith a pulse jet
LOL, it's not as crazy as it sounds! There's a few guys out there making hydrogen peroxide thrusters for bicycles. Plus, tacking on a few large hobby rocket engines would be very simple, even though they burn out & need to be replaced after each boost sequence.

I may end up starting with that kit McBikerton is looking to buy; much more straigthtforward. Yet I'm really kinda itching for the tinkering end of machining a simple engine in the shop & testing it out on my rig. Probably a single-cylinder free-piston air-cooled stirling engine running on propane. I could kmanage that, I think...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You've come to a good place for help and guidance. Don't be turned off by some of the comments you might get. There are a lot of us who can't see past our noses when it comes to innovation. You have some high goals. I hope you have success.
Have fun with whatever you design and build, but above all, ride safe and have fun.
Tom

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
There is a jet bike out there, look for it on you tube it is wicked cool. It looks like you would need to be insane to ride it though.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Cool ideas. Sterling engines were mainly used for water pumps, fans and things with very low power requirements. Maybe you can get mega power yield from one with a new design. Keep us posted.

Jitenchakun

Apr 14, 2011
USA
There is a jet bike out there, look for it on you tube it is wicked cool. It looks like you would need to be insane to ride it though.
I looked & found out Frank wasn't kidding; there are actual pulse jet bicycles out there! Amazing, if a bit loud.

Cool ideas. Sterling engines were mainly used for water pumps, fans and things with very low power requirements. Maybe you can get mega power yield from one with a new design. Keep us posted.
You're right. This would be a small boost, more of a novelty than anything else. Unless of course it were paired with a battery & electric motor like Dean Kamen is working on. This is what got me looking at other designs, like the nutating disc; that would have some punch to it, though it would be much more challenging to design & build. OTOH, it could run on steam! :D

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Steam? Lots of very creative builders here. Fishguts is something else.
http://motorbicycling.com/f41/something-new-kinda-sorta-100-years-23307-32.html

I'm Jitenchakun. It kinda means "Bicycle-Boy" in Japanese, though I'm a native of California. (I just like Japanese culture too.)

I'm a big bicycle rider! Actually, I've always been a pure "sweat & muscle" cyclist, but now, since I'm a mechanical designer & a machinist, I wanna get creative. I wanna build crazy cool stuff, like a recumbent with a stirling engine in the back, or maybe even a nutating disk engine that runs on steam. Lots of ideas.

I'm here looking for wisdom & inspiration. Where can I read up on augmenting a pedal-driven system with motor-power in a smooth & efficient manner? Has anyone built a steam-aided cycle? What about chemical rocket boosters? (Is that over the top? :p)