can i?

GoldenMotor.com

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
Can i run regular engine oil in my 2 stroke mb? ive run out of 2 stroke oil and this bike is my only transportation

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I would think no but have never tried it. If it is your only transportation you don't want to take a chance and have no transportation from a ruined engine. You would be better off walking to the store (no matter the distance) to get the right oil.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
What do you think those in third world countries use? That's right plain old 30w motor oil. Mix about 25-1 to 30-1. That was what everybody used when I was young. There was no such thing as two-stroke oil.

Jim

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
i just finagled up just enough for some cheap 2 stroke oil.
thank you, to everyone, i had asked cause i was out of 2 stroke oil
but i have some now. im going riding

Last edited:

Alson

May 16, 2010
Kankakee Illinois
I put some Valveline ワ2 stroke oil in my gas tank, shock it up good, and let it set over nite. The next day I looked at the new gas line and seen about a inch of oil at the bottom of the line, stuped me I tryed to start the engine, it almost started but then didnt. Drained all the gas out cleaned my carb with carb cleaner. Got cheap two stroke oil in a little bottle, bamb it started fine, we need a stablizer in the oil I found out. Dont know why the valiveane seperated like it did.wee.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I put some Valveline ワ2 stroke oil in my gas tank, shock it up good, and let it set over nite. The next day I looked at the new gas line and seen about a inch of oil at the bottom of the line, stuped me I tryed to start the engine, it almost started but then didnt. Drained all the gas out cleaned my carb with carb cleaner. Got cheap two stroke oil in a little bottle, bamb it started fine, we need a stablizer in the oil I found out. Dont know why the valiveane seperated like it did.wee.
No "we" don't need a stabilizer in the oil" "We" need to mix the oil in a gas can before "we" put it in the tank. Valvoline doesn't separate out once mixed, I have some in a can that is two months old and it is still mixed.

Alson

May 16, 2010
Kankakee Illinois
I must of got a bad batch, I shock it good, oh well, I started to use Maxima K2, it cost alot more, but the 2 stroke oils around here is hard to find, I hade to order mine through the web on my phone, still dont know why the valveline gave me trouble, thanks for setting things strate, for the peoplecvlt1

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
I fly a Quicksilver ultralight with a 503 Rotax two cylinder two stroke engine. A big percentage of the guys I talk to use Super Tech two stroke oil for air cooled engines from Walmart. Works well. Not the outboard oil. Many believe it is repackaged Pennzoil two stroke oil for air cooled engines. Looks and smells the same. Available in 16oz bottles.

Jim

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Yes, mixing in the tank will cause that. I was stranded and out of gas once. Lucky me, I was right next to an auto parts store and a gas station. I could get everything I needed, but I forgot to turn the gas valve off before I put the oil in the tank and some of it ran down into my filter. I took the filter off and dumped it back into the tank and added a few drops more just to be safe. The bike ran fine and I got home. ;)

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Really? I didn't see any difference. My only concern was that I usually use a full synthetic oil and all they had at the auto parts store was synthetic blend. Like I said though, it turned out fine.

Alson

May 16, 2010
Kankakee Illinois
Well thanks for the reply, I could save myself alot more money, by going with the other oils, but my buddy that has a motor on his bike thinks its a real good oil, the Maxima that is, proubly because it cost more, Ill tell him what you guys said.wee.

nemlu7

Dec 25, 2008
malta
What do you think those in third world countries use? That's right plain old 30w motor oil. Mix about 25-1 to 30-1. That was what everybody used when I was young. There was no such thing as two-stroke oil.

Jim
I second you on that one,I just was afraid to say so myself,.....I've used all kinds of engine oil mixed at 25/1 on all sorts of small 2t engines..... and they never complained dnut!

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Although somewhat fearful at first I have been convinced to use Opti-2 oil mixed at 100-1. Works fine and burns clean.

What convinced me was talking to two different construction equipment rental yards here locally. They both send out gas mixed with Opti-2 at 100-1 with every two cycle motored piece of equipment they rent out. Neither had had and oil related engine issues in over ten years of use.

Their reasoning for using it was every different brand of power product that had a two stroke motor had a different recommended oil-gas mix. That was unrealistic for them to keep straight what device needed what mix so they chose Opti-2 and use it in everything.

Good enough for that kind of service good enough for me.

Jim

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
i have run 30w oil in my china girl all the time, i mix it 16:1 with a cheap 10w40 5w30 etc, i notice that it smells more and i have more smoke, i also notice it leaves mass carbon deposits in the engine. however i have run my engine like this many times and many of my engines in the past. besides all the carbon i have never had a breakdown once, 30w oil works for me