walmart schwinn cheap

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
how much did you pay for that bike?
That'un is a wallyworld schwinn too, it was only about $200.

Venice mighta been kidding around, but if ya know what yer lookin' for - a thrift store bike could very well be far better than the walmart bikes, particularly if you live near a college. Problem would be steady availability if yer trying to start a business ofc. Prolly be easier to do the walmart bike thing with upgraded rims *shrug*

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I kid because I love! laff Seriously, I'm a clown... (it just doesn't seem that way in type!) :D
Keep it up VB, I like your comments to people. I agree though, sometimes it comes out a bit harsh in type. Alot of times I will make a comment, then read it before I send it, and think, do I really want to send this? And then think, out what the he**.

John

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
my wallyworld cranbrook seems to have major wheel issues esp the coaster brake feels like it wants to grenade all the time so i dont ride it mind u it has 3 small rides on it

metalliatic

Mar 14, 2010
Louisville Ky
I kid because I love! laff Seriously, I'm a clown... (it just doesn't seem that way in type!) :D
I cant help but notice you have more then 1 schwinn jaguars you have sold. is one walmart bike better then another? is a $149 bike that much better then an $89 bike? did you replace the wheels and all the bearings before you sold them? also where can i get a front disc brake? i noticed lots of your bikes have them, they look like they have been added on. are they universal? what does it take to put on on? any welding or just bolt on?

skipsmith

Apr 14, 2010
simi valley ca
I cant help but notice you have more then 1 schwinn jaguars you have sold. is one walmart bike better then another? is a $149 bike that much better then an $89 bike? did you replace the wheels and all the bearings before you sold them? also where can i get a front disc brake? i noticed lots of your bikes have them, they look like they have been added on. are they universal? what does it take to put on on? any welding or just bolt on?
I got my front disk brake from pistonbike.com! I haven't put it on yet but it seems to be good quality!

I think I may have said this before: I would not trust for a moment the tires and wheels on my walmart bike. I changed mine before I even started the project.......I'm also doing some mods to the frame so by the time I'm done about the only thing that will be from walmart is part of the frame. For me it was a good starting point and thats about it.
.duh.

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
I hope you guys don't mind me calling back up some older threads. As I'm searching and find an interesting thread with a new question, I figure I may as well just keep adding to the existing thread.

I was looking at those Wally World Schwinn DelMars. In my area they are now going for $114. That is about the cheapest new bike I am finding. I understand the concern regarding the single-wall rims. Let's say new double-wall rims are $25 apiece, and you reuse everything else (tires, hub, spokes, nipples). So now that gets you up into the $165 range, not counting your time to swap out rims (I've built mountain bike wheels before, so the swap is no big deal for me). Are there any bikes in the Cruiser category that have double-wall rims for $165 or so?

I'm all in favor of making a few upgrades for safety and some performance, but I'd prefer to not end up with a $400 bike as the basis for this build.

andy b.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Andy. I personally really like when old threads come back up.

I built a bunch of wally world cheapos. I love the Point beachs. I have not used the DelMar though. I find they are fine but the wheels and bearing cages are the only real not worth it's. The spokes on them are chinsy. If your gonna swap out the rims, I would suggest whole new wheels. With ChinaGirls and 50cc 4 strokes, they did fine for me and put literally thousands of miles on a few. But ya can never go wrong upgrading your wheels. Just my 2 cents.

Side note, I find the wally world, cheap tires and brake pads last longer then the more expensive, "good" ones. I have never tried the really high end ones though. Just the LBS mid range ones

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
Dan,

Thanks for the reply! I am reading the "New in frame 4 stroke kit in development" thread and all of the info provided by you and tyrslider. You guys are going for EXACTLY what I want in terms of powerplant. I'm sure I'll post over there once I digest all the info. :) I just need to decide on a bike to use for my project.

andy b.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Andy. Jump on in there. Some really amazing folks. I had wanted that huge engine for a good while for the price but is a great lil motor.

Thats a good example. The PB its on (179 when I got it at wally world a few years back) Is still holding up. The HF tore the spokes out of every WW rear wheel I put on her. The wheels, cranks (had to go to wide to put a Honda on her) and kick stand are all replacements. The rear wheel on it now was $45 at the LBS and is on 4 or 500 miles with no signs of stress or failure. Single walled and they used my old wally world cluster
Center stand, kick stands are awesome for our thing! Bent seat post is a must too. Makes for a much more funner ride.

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
I guess I am jumping. A Schwinn DelMar is in my garage. :) I was riding it around for a few hours today with my kids. I tightened a few spokes and trued up the wheels, but everything else was good. We'll see how it holds up. My usual ride for the past many years has been my Cannondale Super V 900 (aluminum frame, full-suspension if you're unfamiliar). Needless to say, the DelMar is a little different.

Being the standard impatient American, I am trying to decide what I should do powerplant wise. I know what I want to build with the HF engine, but it will take me some time to gather pieces and build it. In the mean time, I have a bike itching for power. I may stick a Stinger two-stroke on it for now just to play with while I get the HF project together.

andy b.

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
dude im the cheapest of the cheap i found my bike abandonned on the side of the road and im using it cause the 89 dollar huffy was a piece of crap my bike works good so far but if you are building a cheap bike why buy a new one when on craigs list you can often find bikes that realy arent too bad for as low as 25 bucks now how much proffit is that but i wouldnt sell this one ive built if it breaks its going to be me that is hurt not someone who trusted me to build themm a bike i did trade my last one for 400 worth of ink work but my artist knew what he was getting was going to need work and he has more tools and time than i do i had about 350 tied up into that bike free bike 225 shipping included and about 35 worth of hardware in this one included parts for pipe not done yet but fun factor is priceless to me

dan1150

Sep 25, 2011
wisconsin
seems like everybody has solved this problem, but how do you you deal with the coaster brake, seems like it will be in the way of the sprocket.