80/66cc Black Slant Head Engines

GoldenMotor.com

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I'd like to buy an 80/66cc Black engine, preferably slant head but not mandatory
. So far I've found the Gru-bee Skyhawk and this LEB kit from ebay:

http: //cgi . ebay . com/80cc-bicycle-motor-kit-motorized-gas-engine-bike-Black_W0QQitemZ250576239308QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a5781facc

Are there more options?

As of now I'm leaning toward the Skyhawk becuase of Gru-bee's trustability. The price on the Luckyearlybird Kit is cheaper though.

I'm also thinking about getting an NGK Iridium Sparkplug and a cheap Walmart Bike Computer. Any other recommended upgrades? This would be going on a mountain bike. Thanks.

Last edited:

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
OK I think I'm gonna order the Skyhawk tomorrow. So far I found King's motorsports has the cheapest kit when you include shipping, but I haven't looked extensively. Anyone else know of a cheaper site? Shipping is to MD.

The NGK Iridium spark plugs seem to be the top of line so I just figured I would head straight for that. They're only like $4 more expensive than the NGK B6HS. What performance enhancements can I expect with the changing of the spark plug?

I think I'll get a computer, kickstand and fenders from walmart lol. They're all really cheap. The fenders have somewhat of a good review so I don't think they'll fall apart. Even if they do I'm only out $10. I like the look of fenders on a mountain bike, it makes them look like a dirt bike.

I don't understand how the dual brake handle works, could you tell me more or link me to a thread or video? (please and thank you)

Are all of these kits made in the same factory in China somewhere? Most seem very similar.

How many posts do I have to have before I can post links?

Any more info a n00b like me should know before ordering would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I bought from LEB and so far so good. alot of it is hit and miss as nougat said but another you can try and I 've had nothing but good luck is BGF:)

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
It is seeming much more appealing now as the cheapest I can find the Skyhawk is $180 shipped. The LEX is $120 shipped. I could practically get the LEB and an expansion pipe for the price of a skyhawk.

By the way can someone link me to a large frame adaptor that requires no drilling. I keep thinking I've found one but then it turns out you still need to drill.

Thanks.

Edit: By the way I figured out the dualie brake lever, nougat. As usual thanks

Last edited:

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
I just installed the 2 into one "dual" brake lever from SickBikeParts.com on one of my winter builds and it works pretty slick. Both brake cables attach to a single lever leaving the left side of your handlebar for the clutch lever. Good luck w/ your build.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I ordered 2 skyhawks from bikeberry, one from dax, and one from BGF, and so far i am happiest with the BGF. It was the best quality and cheapest. The next pick for me would be the skyhawk, altough one siezed up within a week. Haven't really gotten to run the dax one yet as i seem to keep running into all kinds of problems with it.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
[QUOTE
The NGK Iridium spark plugs seem to be the top of line so I just figured I would head straight for that. They're only like $4 more expensive than the NGK B6HS. What performance enhancements can I expect with the changing of the spark plug?[/QUOTE]

buckleys and f all

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
[QUOTE
The NGK Iridium spark plugs seem to be the top of line so I just figured I would head straight for that. They're only like $4 more expensive than the NGK B6HS. What performance enhancements can I expect with the changing of the spark plug?
buckleys and f all[/QUOTE]

No comprendo...

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Sorry I missed it 1st time. BGF kits come with an optional u-clamp front mount and all hardware. They also come w/ an inline fuel filter and a Tygon like fuel line. Nothing seems to polarize MBers like BGF. Like previously mentioned, my best running HT is a BGF. I won't buy another Grubee. Overpriced for what you get IMO. Can't speak on LEB.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I did end up ordering the LEB, I'll post in this thread about quality and such.

My friend had an extra iridium sparker for his 125cc dirt bike. It's an NGK BR9EIX. Does anyone know if this is compatible with Chinese 66cc engines? If not, I have to go to Pep Boys any way for motor oil.

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
For the oversized frame mount, what worked for me, was to use a flat piece of scrap mounted and centered to the engine, about 6-8 incheslong. Left enough room to use 1&7/8 (my frame size) muffler clamps above and below where it connected to the motor to hold that to the frame...only my second kit, but a rock solid mount...worked great for me-though not my idea...it's posted in here somewhere.....

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
The ebay LuckyEarlyBird (LEB) PK80 kit came yesterday. My only complaint so far is that I ordered the Black Slant Head Engine and in the ebay picture it is shown with a black muffler. However mine came with a chrome muffler. I'm not too concerned with it, I probably won't order a new muffler.

motorhead419

Jul 6, 2009
ohio
[QUOTE
buckleys and f all[/QUOTE]

You will not notice any real power difference with your plug. I run a colder NGK B8HS or B9HS. It's colder than the B6HS. Cooler engines produce more POWER. xct2

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
My friend's iridium for his dirt bike, the NGK BR9EIX (Stock #: 6583) is too long.

It looks like this:

While the NGK BPR6HIX (Stock #: 4085) that does fit looks like this: