Clutch question and other miscellania

GoldenMotor.com

rygarrett

Aug 18, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm totally new to this and am working on my first build. I bought a raw motors 80 cc kit and have been Installng it the last two days. I think it's pretty much together now just needs tweaking and troubleshooting.

First thing I noticed that I was concerned about was that pulling the clutch lever doesn't seem to disengage the motor. The clutch is working (the handle turns when I pull the lever) but I'm not getting free of the motor and drive train. Its still almost impossible to push the bike freely. wHat mIght be the problem here?

Also if anyone could give me some tips on adjustments to the carburetor, throttle, etc that should be made before I fuel up and try to ride or other things to beware of I would really appreciate it. Just lookng for some standard default setting to set that will make the first start up go smoother. thank you for the help.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I just completed a new build recently and my first. Make sure you file or grind the
points off the small drive sprocket on engine- this allows the heavy chain a free running,
smooth movement. This will save you uneccessary trouble. If you look around on this site
you will find answers to your questions.......

nickydrumstix

Aug 20, 2009
santa ana, CA
wow i am having the same trouble with the clutch the handle also turns when i pull the lever but it too does not disengage the motor. If you find the solution to yours please let me know. thanks.

rygarrett

Aug 18, 2009
Los Angeles
I figured it out. It needs to be pretty tight. Take out the springs and tighten the cable so the lever is straight back when disengaged. When you have he cable tight enough it pull the lever back and to the right. I got my bike going the other day but was pretty stupid about operating the clutch. I got scared and braked without clutchng first and now my chain is bound up in the motor and alll twisted. So beware. Always clutch before you brak.

nickydrumstix

Aug 20, 2009
santa ana, CA
yes that is the problem with the clutch if it isnt engaging i figured that out like ten minutes ago. all you have to do is make sure that the arm is being pulled pretty hard by the cable.