Engine has a hard time Starting and won't stay idled when clutch is engaged

GoldenMotor.com

Keef B

Dec 30, 2015
northridge
SUP Fellas,

Im running a SHA dellarto clone, jakes diamond head, with modified exhaust. On a 80cc engine.. :-||:-||:-|| I been messing with the clutch lock screw because when I try to lock the clutch while the engine is running it cuts off.. So after gave the clutch a lil tinkering I took it for a spin. It has a hard time starting almost have to get to about 5-10mph before it even thinks about firing. Now I know i'm running a little heavy on my mix about 8oz per gallon, but this is for breakin. But it seems like its not getting any better.. Has anybody had this issue before or know how I can :-|| it.. Also when it has the choke engaged it wants to bog down when I twist the throttle. I have to have choked open for it even to try and fire..

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you got reading to do - all info you need is here

first, read adjusting the cable & clutch

choke is seldom required, but can make an easier start as long as you turn it off right after it starts (if it only runs with choke on, read about air leaks)

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Keef, it sounds like your clutch needs adjustment as Crassius said because your engine should be able to idle with the clutch hand lever in the lock out position.

I'm sure there are guys here who can break in an engine with a bunch of performance upgrades right out of the gate but they have built tens or even hundreds of motorized bikes and would have come into the hobby with a solid base of mechanical experience. I would suggest that you restore your engine to all the stock parts and break it in like that and then add your performance parts one at a time. This method will give you a good idea how it all works and increase your knowledge base as I can guarantee that at some point you will have to do a roadside fix of some kind. it's really a good idea to do a lot of reading here for many reasons.

You can lean out your gas/oil mix to break the engine in. The mix you are at now is overly oil rich/heavy. There's tons of info in the threads on this subject.

Keef B

Dec 30, 2015
northridge
Chaz,

Great info man, I plan on taking the clutch apart this weekend and tightening it up. I was checking on Norms section and seen his posts on how to tighten it up internally.. So I'm going to try and give it a shot.. You know that idea of starting from scratch with original parts is good..

Much Appreciated