Chain "wobbling" tight then slack to tight again with new spring loaded tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

quaternium

Mar 9, 2015
southern Illinois
I have a new chain loaded tensioner (the type with a rollerskate wheel) and upon install noticed that when clutch is disengaged (pulled hand), the chain goes from slack to tight to slack accompanied by a squeeking sound that seems related. Is this normal? Is something out of alignment? Is my tire going out? I've found I'm the last person to see the most obvious physical problems that are staring me in the face, so advice would be appreciated. I guess this problem has always been there but I'm just now noticing because of the spring.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your rear sprocket is probably not centered.
Ditto: If the rear sprocket isn't centered on the rear hub you'll have the problem you describe. A spring loaded tensioner won't fix it. If the sprocket isn't centered the sprocket circle will be ellipitical as opposed to circular which will loosen then tighten the chain.

You'll also want to make sure the drive and driven sprockets are in line. Roller chains won't run well at an angle.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sprocket adapters pretty much assure the sprocket will be centered. There is no way to adjust them for concentricity. If you're still having the loose/tight condition I'd start looking at the chain. Many kit supplied chains have tight spots in the links. Binding rollers and side plates. Assure the chain isn't the problem.

I'm not a fan of spring loaded tensioners either. They can be a source of tension problems. They allow slack when you least want or need it. If possible run without a tensioner and adjust chain tension by moving the rear wheel (if you have horizontal drop outs) or there are other ways to adjust drive chain tension.

But first check your chain. It might be the culprit.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if slack is seen at top of chain run rather than bottom, that's how spring tensioners always fail when coasting