Round cylinder fins?

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Are the 50cc HT engines with the round cyl fins still available? If so from who?

Did they sell a 66cc HT with round cyl fins.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
The HT 66's I've seen have always had square fins. I've seen suppliers in China that offer a 48cc with a round head but there are no retail outlets in the US that I have found. Hope that helps. If you are after that round-headed vintage look, you might wanna talk to a european member about scoring a russian engine. Peace
-LS

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As long as you don't get carried away, you can grind the corners off the fins to give the cylinder a more rounded appearance. The aluminum is easy to remove with a side grinder and a 'flapper wheel' type of abrasive. The loss of cooling ability shouldn't effect the engine unless you're riding style includes long periods of idling or slow riding under a load in high ambient temperatures.
A rule of thumb in the case of a heat exchanger, which the cooling fins are, is that you can eliminate as much as 10% of the surface area without seriously compromising its ability to transfer heat, except in extreme conditions.
Tom

48cc

Jul 29, 2013
Canada
Hi, sorry to revive an old thread but I have a grubee gt2b with the round cylinder and the chrome plating in the bore is chipping off. I can't find anyone selling the round cylinder so I'm wondering if the cylinder with the square fins would work

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
yeah it will - I aesthetically love the round fins and did some research on where to buy them. You can buy them direct from "Jiangdu woodpecker gasoline engine factory" for $170 shipped fedex to the US.

48cc

Jul 29, 2013
Canada
thx Moto, i just did a full rebuild on my engine with the square cylinder and now im welding a custom frame with 20in moped wheels. For my next motor i will get a grubee starfire case with the 6032 bearings and see if i can use a puch e50 crankshaft with a puch e50 top end.