Basic Chain Question

GoldenMotor.com

stratogeezer

Oct 16, 2011
Norcross, GA
Hey folks - I snapped the drive chain off my 2-stroke bike engine, and am having a hard time finding a replacement chain that fits the smaller engine sprocket.

I ordered a 415 - which fit the back sprocket well - but would not smoothly rotate around the engine drive sprocket. I then ordered a 410z chain (not sure if the z matters...) and that one also fits the back sprocket well, but seems too small for the engine sprocket. I'm like...what the H?

I can't give you the exact engine make - but it's a garden variety 80cc 2 stroke motor that comes in the standard kit that is available everywhere online. I am super surprised I'm having such a hard time finding a chain that fits both sprockets. Help!

Thanks!:-||

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hmm usually kits come with a 415. Lots of people like to upgrade to a #41 chain. I did that, but then went back to the 415 because I couldn't get a chain breaker that would work with it. My motorcycle chain breaker for the 415 was too big, and a bicycle chain breaker broke. I found a #41 chain in my local lawnmower shop.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
Do you still have the broken chain? How does it compare to a 415. Is your set up old enough that maybe the front sprocket is worn? Lastly, call Duane at Thatsdax and ask him.

stratogeezer

Oct 16, 2011
Norcross, GA
Hmm usually kits come with a 415. Lots of people like to upgrade to a #41 chain. I did that, but then went back to the 415 because I couldn't get a chain breaker that would work with it. My motorcycle chain breaker for the 415 was too big, and a bicycle chain breaker broke. I found a #41 chain in my local lawnmower shop.
I might have ordered the 415 "heavy duty" which possibly accounts for some extra size - that might be part of the issue. Maybe a 415 standard duty is one other thing to try.

stratogeezer

Oct 16, 2011
Norcross, GA
Do you still have the broken chain? How does it compare to a 415. Is your set up old enough that maybe the front sprocket is worn? Lastly, call Duane at Thatsdax and ask him.
The old chain is history I'm afraid - and now I know I should have kept it - but assumed replacing it would be super easy.

I'll call Duane and ask - thanks for the contact info!