New Guy

GoldenMotor.com

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
Hey all, I've been lurking on this forum for a while, so I figured I'd introduce myself. I am a pinstriper and hobbyist kustom car builder. I don't know how many of you out there like old cars but I am currently building a mild-kustom 1953 Packard Clipper.

My first motorbike was one I acquired from my uncle, who got it at a yard sale mostly complete. It was on an old Schwinn frame (looked to be late '50s) and had a RAW 2-stroke on it. It didn't run, so I rebuilt everything for him. I rode it to school while I was working on it, and it was the koolest thing I'd ever ridden!!! After tuning up the carb and re-gearing it I was able to hit 46mph past the speed warning sign by my school. There's just something exhilarating about being on an old, rusty bicycle with bald tires and shot bearings and going faster than it was ever intended to go...

So finally I have the beginnings to my own project. I have a '60s era B&S engine off of a rototiller, and a few old bikes to choose from for a platform. I aim to build it in the style of a 1930s era board track bike. Not replicating any specific make, just what I would have built had I been around back then. I've never built a motorized bike from scratch before, but I have enough metal working skills to get me by with working on cars. Or, more simply put, I can use a grinder as good I can weld! I'll post pics of what I have thus far as soon as I get some batteries in my camera.

There are some BEAUTIFUL bikes on here!!! Lots of inspiration. I hope mine will turn out half as nice as some of the ones I've seen on here!!

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Welcome to the forum , yep your hooked ! "coolest hobby ever!"
Make sure to check threads about local laws , and please ride like your actions can blow it for everyone ( not that u would , just a mind set), most of all have fun.
Theres no pride like riding something you built yourself.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Shorty, welcome to the forum. Good choice on the motor and old bike frames. I've been building Briggs bikes for over 20 years and my first one is still going strong. Check out the DIY and vintage castegories. Can't wait to see your build.