Wizard 4 Stroke

GoldenMotor.com

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Does anyone have any experience with the Wizard 4 stroke Bicycle Engine Kit that FiveFlagsMotorbikes is selling?

In my quest to build a Motorized bicycle, I have gone from looking at the Whizzers (which are too heavy for my taste), to a Chinese 2 stroke (which pollute too much for me to claim to be "Green"), and I am now looking at the Wizard 4 stroke.

Primarily because it's the only frame mounted 4 stroke kit that I can find.

Is anyone running one of these?

How fast have you been able to go on it?

What kind of bike did you build it on?

Is it my imagination, or all 4 strokes pull start?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
SpookyTooth had a 2-stroke emissions tested in AZ and it passed just fine. I don't think they really pollute all that much.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well I haven't found anything directly from the EPA yet about that, all I can find are a few omg2strokesarekillingtheplanet websites...but I will agree they do pollute more than a 4-stroke. But considering I can go 120-130mi on one gallon of gas on the bike compared to 21mi in my car, I think that is still something to be considered.

Anyway, I did stumble on this article Green Earth Technologies’ New Petroleum-Free, No Smoke, 2-Cycle Green Engine Oil Now Available about a company making bio-based 2-stroke oils that can reduce emissions. The companies website is here: Green Earth Technologies’ New Petroleum-Free, No Smoke, 2-Cycle Green Engine Oil Now Available

I think I might see if I can get ahold of some and see how it works out.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Fair, this isn't a Whizzer motor. It's just branded the "wizard." I think it's that HS engine, whatever it's called.

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
My bad :oops: it's been a very busy day today
They seemed to have named it something familiar sounding on purpose.

The only hits I get on it when searching these boards (or even Google) is people confusing it for Whizzer - I can't find any reviews.

They seem to use the same picture for it on Grubee Inc. as they do on FiveFlags. This is it here (on the left):

Last edited:

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
All I have heard about the wizzard is to run away screaming as fast as you can.
I've only been reading these boards for a week or so, but it seems to me it's just a 4 stroke version of the 2 stroke China Doll's: Results may vary.

At $325, I don't expect it to be as good as a Honda or Subaru engine. But for half the price, and for my first kit - I might be willing to take that chance.

Can you recommend any other 4 stroke, frame mount kits?

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
If the gearbox pictured on the site is the one they are selling, that's the good one- the Grubee Skyhawk II. I have that gearbox- works well. The engine is usually a clone of a Honda GXH50 manufactured by Huasheng in China. It is a bit less powerful than the Honda, but many people have reported good reliability. I have the Honda, so I don't know personally.

While the engines are the same, the gearbox to avoid is the JL Hoot which looks like a number "8" on its side. The picture they have is not that gearbox. The Grubee is roughly oval, not "8" shaped and that is what they show.

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
If the gearbox pictured on the site is the one they are selling, that's the good one- the Grubee Skyhawk II. I have that gearbox- works well. The engine is usually a clone of a Honda GXH50 manufactured by Huasheng in China. It is a bit less powerful than the Honda, but many people have reported good reliability. I have the Honda, so I don't know personally.

While the engines are the same, the gearbox to avoid is the JL Hoot which looks like a number "8" on its side. The picture they have is not that gearbox. The Grubee is roughly oval, not "8" shaped and that is what they show.

I'd much prefer the Honda but how do I get the rest of the kit?

No one seems to sell it without the engine.

ricland

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I'd much prefer the Honda but how do I get the rest of the kit?

No one seems to sell it without the engine.

ricland
The only vendor who offered the install kit without the motor was bicycle-engines.com and they are out of stock until (at last report) sometime in September. I'm sure they will have the install kits agin at that time. But until then you are out of luck it seems.

ocscully

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
The only vendor who offered the install kit without the motor was bicycle-engines.com and they are out of stock until (at last report) sometime in September. I'm sure they will have the install kits agin at that time. But until then you are out of luck it seems.

ocscully
I'm thinking I'll buy five Wizards, at $325 each.

Put them on five Target Schwinn's @ $125 each, and sell the motorized

Schwinn's for $700 apiece.

Anybody have a problem with that?

ricland

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will remind you that I have HEARD (on this board) that the wizard was a problematic kit. I don't know from experience. I will retract that statement. It may well be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Will you be our intrepid pioneer and get one and do a full review? At some point a lot of us have taken a chance and bought a relative unknown....like anyone who bought the first china shipped bicycle motor kits....or more recently I "pioneered" with the livefast "55cc economy kit"....review to come soon.

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
I will remind you that I have HEARD (on this board) that the wizard was a problematic kit. I don't know from experience. I will retract that statement. It may well be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Will you be our intrepid pioneer and get one and do a full review? At some point a lot of us have taken a chance and bought a relative unknown....like anyone who bought the first china shipped bicycle motor kits....or more recently I "pioneered" with the livefast "55cc economy kit"....review to come soon.
I'm going to get one.

They're expecting a shipment sometime after mid-August. At $325 I don't see how I can go wrong.

I spoke to someone over there who seemed knowledgeable. I asked him point blank how does the clone compare to the Honda and he said they dissembled them both and couldn't tell the difference.

He also mentioned latest engine was new and improved -- third generation.

Based on these things I've stopped my research.

My issue with the Dax Titan was the rack mount. I didn't like the way it looks and thought it shifted the center of gravity.

I have no other issues with it and still would like to have one.

And, yes, rest assured, once I get the Wizard I'll be filing reports here regularly -- I may even set up a website for that purpose exclusively.

With the exception of this forum, which is as good as a forum gets, I have issues with the way the motorized bike industry represents itself on the net. None of the websites are information-rich or professionally well-done as they ought to be.

And then when you find one that's passable you get videos with rock music so loud you can't hear the engine.

Who started this rock music in motorized bike videos?

Awful idea.

ricland

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
I'm going to get one.
I plan on getting one as well, although there are a couple dealers in my area that I'm going to visit first to test ride a Whizzer, and a two stroke China Doll.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to wind up with one of these Grubee four strokes though. I want a 4 stroke frame mount kit, so that I can carry stuff on the rear rack, and this seems to be the only one available.

I only plan on doing trips around West Los Angeles of less than 3 miles, so as long as I can pedal home, I'll be fine. I can even throw it onto the bike rack on a city bus if I really have to.

I'll be sure to post pictures and reviews here when I get one.

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
I plan on getting one as well, although there are a couple dealers in my area that I'm going to visit first to test ride a Whizzer, and a two stroke China Doll.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to wind up with one of these Grubee four strokes though. I want a 4 stroke frame mount kit, so that I can carry stuff on the rear rack, and this seems to be the only one available.

I only plan on doing trips around West Los Angeles of less than 3 miles, so as long as I can pedal home, I'll be fine. I can even throw it onto the bike rack on a city bus if I really have to.

I'll be sure to post pictures and reviews here when I get one.

I keep talking myself into then out of a Whizzer.

Everyone here seems a lot more pumped on bike kits.

ric