Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting

Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your bicycle motor and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Bucking bar pressure locks clutch under pressure (bearings?)

Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your bicycle motor and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Bucking bar pressure locks clutch under pressure (bearings?)

I'm completely stumped. I finished installing a seacond 66cc motor on my cruiser (the first blew) and noticed the clutch wouldn't disengage the motor. Routine stuff, or so I thought. My memory's hazy on exactly how i got here but I'll go ahead I got it unstuck with ete flower nut off and cover off .and (if my memory's correct) no pressure on the bucking bar (yeah, shouldn't matter, right?) Well I reassembled the clutch and while putting the sprocket cover/clutch lever on I noticed that about an 8th inch of the bucking bar had to compress just to get the cover bolted down. Now for the really weird part: even 1/8" of bucking bar movement is now causing the clutch to grind and,catch and jump. definitely unusable It is like this with the flower nut and plate removed also. It only turns free (well reasonably) when there is no pressure on the bucking bar but. It still grinds and (I forgot to mention) has from the start. It also catches once per revolution and has from the start i think. The problem was compounded when i tried to pry the whole back clutch assembly off with a screwdriver. The first thing i did to the motor was shoot red grease behind the bucking bar, forcing as much as i could pressure in there. I think think the bucking bar seated fully at that point, though (no pressure required to seat sprocket cover). The only other thing I remember doing was putting ceramic oil in between the between the motor and sections of the clutch where the bearings are to try and quiet the grinding. I'm thinking the bearings are bad. I have a functional clutch on my blown motor but no clutch puller. Any suggestions for removing it without one? A million thanks for any help.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Bucking bar pressure locks clutch under pressure (bearings?)

get the standard puller - you'll need it for other things eventually
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

you wont get it off with out the puller, they cost 3-4 bucks. make sure to lube the threads with a little oil, its like a harmonic dampener puller, if you dont lube it the threads will strip out.

LabRat that golden pos ya got with the homescooled monarks

coated pistons
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42853
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I went ahead and ordered a puller as well as a mew clutch assembly. Good to know about the threads, thanks.