Chopper & Stretch Cruiser Extra WideTriple Tree Modification

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Chopper & Stretch Cruiser Extra Wide Triple Tree Modification

If anyone can share information on modifying the Stretch Cruiser or Chopper Bicycle triple trees to accommodate the 20", 24" or 26" 100mm rims with the 4.25" tires please share it here.

I've searched the forum for another members post about modifying the triple trees for Stretch Cruiser's & Chopper Bicycles, but can't find the post!

Below are some Schwinn OCC Stingray Chopper's with the triple tree modification's.

If you have any information for others or have other idea's / suggestions, as to how one could do it yourself, that is modifying the triple trees to accommodate the extra wide 4.25" tires, please share it here.

Note, this modification is an alternative to purchasing the more costly custom made cnc machined triple trees, which can cost as much as $300.00 USD !!!! OUCH !!!

C.H.
P.S.Thanks & Credit to Ollb83 & others who have shared their how to information for modifying triple trees.

Here are the Custom Made Extra Wide Forks & Triple Trees which will accommodate all three (3) sizes of wheels in the 100mm rim size and 20", 24", 26" wheel / tire size's.
The above 100mm rims are available from Cycles U.S. Homepage - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S. here's the Link, note you'll have to lace the spokes / hub to these rims!
Wheel/Tire/Tube/Hub/Rim : Rims Only - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

These extra wide forks are from Europe and commonly used on basman bicycles these have a retail price of nearly $300.00 + $50-60 USD for the shipping from Europe. So yes nearly $400.00 dollars, ouch will you custom make yours or buy them ready made?
Oh almost forgot here's the measurements for these forks the measurements shown below:

Steering tube = 1-1/8"

Extra Wide Fork Black,

with Hub = 4-1/4" Wide For (100mm) Rims; 36 Holes; 3/8" Axle; 135mm Lock Nut to Lock Nut; 170mm Axle Length Overall

length legs: 660 mm =25.98425 inches.
width legs: 150 mm =5.905512 inches.
length steerer tube: 230 mm =9.055118 inches.
width axle: 165 mm =6.496063 inches.

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
You can get aluminum plate of all kinds of sizes on eBay for a decent price. As long as you don't need a raked tripletree decent shop tools could make them. The hole sizes can be a problem unless you have a boring bar and a mill but I think they could be made to fit what ever fork tubes you want even if drilling the holes is the only option. I got a large set of drill bits from 1/2 to 1 1/8ths, though, and have no problem with attacking a problem like this on my own :)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Im looking for some of the aluminum triple trees for the fork legs to replace the stampednsteel ones. Ive seen the pedal chopper kit but im just looking for the plates. Any help?

pedalchopper

May 9, 2010
Ft Myers beach Florida
Crazy Horse

I will be offering them in about 2 weeks specifically for OCC schwinn to accomodate 4.25 wheel...

Probably $200.00 range but they will be 100% aluminum - billet yokes and brushed aluminum down comers. They will have disc tabs and I will also be offering an adaptor which will be screwed onto the freewheel threads of any OCC schwinn rear wheel and allow you to convert to a front / disc wheel.

I am also going to build to suit... Steering tubes upto 14 inches for now and fork length upto 31 inches.

put pedalchopper.com on your favorites... they should be available beginning by or before 1-15-2013 Jim

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hey Jim
I sent you an email through your site a couple days ago. Im looking to buy a set of the yokes I dont need new fork legs though.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Crazy Horse

I will be offering them in about 2 weeks specifically for OCC schwinn to accomodate 4.25 wheel...

Probably $200.00 range but they will be 100% aluminum - billet yokes and brushed aluminum down comers. They will have disc tabs and I will also be offering an adaptor which will be screwed onto the freewheel threads of any OCC schwinn rear wheel and allow you to convert to a front / disc wheel.

I am also going to build to suit... Steering tubes upto 14 inches for now and fork length upto 31 inches.

put pedalchopper.com on your favorites... they should be available beginning by or before 1-15-2013 Jim
Jim, looking forward to your new Extra Wide Front Fork & Triple Trees!

Extra wide fork with black sealed bearing hub to fit 80mm and 100mm wide rims.

WOW, American made products for our Super Fat Tire Builds.

Thanks Jim!

Go Fat Early:

C.H.

davidstipek

Jan 25, 2013
chiangmai, Thailand
Crazy Horse

Why not use Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki... Triple trees and forks??? It gives you oil damper suspension in front???? I used Hand on mine, have disc brake Bicycle on front and rear. Electric bikes have bicycle cable brake levers with switches for brake lights. they have a cool set of bar mounted switches right hand is High/Low beam. Left hand is on/off, turn signals and horn button. they all clamp to handle bars. Also M/C supply houses have a matching black base with red switch - Kill switch... look for 70-125cc scooters. I converted my hubs to use sealed bearing now I use M/C bolt goes thru complete fork and assembly from one side and lets you take nut off pull bolt nd drop compete wheel assembly even with disc brake. You can find forks with same size 3/8" bolt for axle as Bicycle. When you use sealed bearing be sure to use a spacer between the two inside hub (same as some M/C) save cocking bearings to inside and ruining a nice hub!

The reason I chose M/C Forks was for strength! and they are already proven road ready! All I needed was a cheap aluminum or chromed tube bending or collapsing while on road... away from home. I have a couple sets and even the kids 50-70#ers doing wheelys, jumping off curbs have had issues. They look good but not always perfect! Not worth crash and burning... and here they'll just drive over you, motorcycles on the road... have been here for years, Bicycles longer yet... but noone wants to remember them. They still use as three wheelers push and pull carts, as Tuk tuks for taxi's but get behind one in a Taxi and they Cuss Like a Sailor about them! I have tiped a Driver to be more curtious towards them at times. Put a good light or Motor on one and they give you plenty of room... no clue to what you are! haha!!

Again go to Junk yard... old M/C usually 25-35 USD here 100 Baht :) fits 5-7" x 1" headtube play with the bearings and races most are Ballbearing also... done deal!! If the frame of the bike is there pay for headtube and 2" sections of extruded pipe, just take a hacksraw with you and now bearing... no issue ;)

David

Last edited:

davidstipek

Jan 25, 2013
chiangmai, Thailand
I have a set of steel brackets that let you convert standard front or rear fork to accept mounting International Standard Disc brake calipers. I will trade with Pair of Calipers, spin-on rotor adapters and rotors for a 24" Steel chromed rim (for a 4.25" or wider tire) and tire. I need one fat tire 4.25 or wider and rim to fit. If uses 36H spokes I not worrying about gauge of spoke holes, rim needs to be drilled for 36 spokes... do not need spokes or hub!

David

Last edited:

pedalchopper

May 9, 2010
Ft Myers beach Florida
CRAZY HORSE - FORKS AVAILABLE BY END OF WEEK 2/1/13 ... THEY ARE Looking good! I upgraded initial order to 6 sets... Crazy Horse PM me - i want to get you a set of these first run forks -> I need your input.... They will be all aluminum and tabbed for 160mm disc. We are also offering a threaded mount - to thread where a freewheel would normally go to mount the disc rotor... So just get ya an extra OCC rear wheel - remove freewheel screw on our rotor mount and you are fat-ified...

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
CRAZY HORSE - FORKS AVAILABLE BY END OF WEEK 2/1/13 ... THEY ARE Looking good! I upgraded initial order to 6 sets... Crazy Horse PM me - i want to get you a set of these first run forks -> I need your input.... They will be all aluminum and tabbed for 160mm disc. We are also offering a threaded mount - to thread where a freewheel would normally go to mount the disc rotor... So just get ya an extra OCC rear wheel - remove freewheel screw on our rotor mount and you are fat-ified...
Pedalchopper, I'll send you an email shortly!

C.H.

davidstipek

Jan 25, 2013
chiangmai, Thailand
I have a set of steel brackets that let you convert standard front or rear fork to accept mounting International Standard Disc brake calipers. I will trade with Pair of Calipers, spin-on rotor adapters and rotors for a 24" Steel chromed rim (for a 4.25" or wider tire) and tire. I need one fat tire 4.25 or wider and rim to fit. If uses 36H spokes I not worrying about gauge of spoke holes, rim needs to be drilled for 36 spokes... do not need spokes or hub!

David
I forgot to say these are 160mm rotors w/black Calipers will try to take some pictures of the brackets. They let you add Calipers to an otherwise standard Brake equipt frame. I have two sets one set is on my Yamaha powered Chopper rear even has brake light switch! Since I have rectifier and 12V battery I have added LED tail/light combo.

I took a miller steel bullet style taillight and gutted it (It has one thru bolt to tighten lens and horseshoe bracket into main body) I cut a piece of waferboard to fit between bracket against inside of lens, notching both sides to be held securely by clamp/bracket. Then I use 7 clear mini LED's for bulbs. in star pattern I placed 5 at star tips about 3/8" from edge. then added two in center hoizontally for taillight. tieing + sides together on Taillights and same with 5 brake light LED's. Then tied all Ground wires from all seven LED's together So I have a normal 3 wire rear light assemblly. the 2 light up perfect for taillight and the 5 add normal brightness of what is needed for a proper Brake light. (Note as you wire be sure to check polarity of bulbs, as they will lightup only when power/neutral are connected properly. If one doesn't light...just reverse wires to that LED.) If you check my pictures you will see the rearlight in both modes.

Pedalchopper... just a note! besure to use solid aluminum for fork tubes.. We have a bike supplier here who tried to weld solid caps on the ends of tubes. Then after some of the kids were jumping curbs the tubes bent and of course the was a Crash and Burn... lucky no serious injuries!.shft.

If you already are doing be sure to point this out to potential Customers! :) Good Luck!! I had ordered a Springer style from John Brain in Canada. (on my wifes old bike) Just wanted to let you know I was not critizising you for makin thats all. Not sure how my post about useing M/C forks sounded on your end...ok? Pals??.trk.trk.trk (<<<I included C.H. in this ride)

David

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
I forgot to say these are 160mm rotors w/black Calipers will try to take some pictures of the brackets. They let you add Calipers to an otherwise standard Brake equipt frame. I have two sets one set is on my Yamaha powered Chopper rear even has brake light switch! Since I have rectifier and 12V battery I have added LED tail/light combo.

I took a miller steel bullet style taillight and gutted it (It has one thru bolt to tighten lens and horseshoe bracket into main body) I cut a piece of waferboard to fit between bracket against inside of lens, notching both sides to be held securely by clamp/bracket. Then I use 7 clear mini LED's for bulbs. in star pattern I placed 5 at star tips about 3/8" from edge. then added two in center hoizontally for taillight. tieing + sides together on Taillights and same with 5 brake light LED's. Then tied all Ground wires from all seven LED's together So I have a normal 3 wire rear light assemblly. the 2 light up perfect for taillight and the 5 add normal brightness of what is needed for a proper Brake light. (Note as you wire be sure to check polarity of bulbs, as they will lightup only when power/neutral are connected properly. If one doesn't light...just reverse wires to that LED.) If you check my pictures you will see the rearlight in both modes.

Pedalchopper... just a note! besure to use solid aluminum for fork tubes.. We have a bike supplier here who tried to weld solid caps on the ends of tubes. Then after some of the kids were jumping curbs the tubes bent and of course the was a Crash and Burn... lucky no serious injuries!.shft.

If you already are doing be sure to point this out to potential Customers! :) Good Luck!! I had ordered a Springer style from John Brain in Canada. (on my wifes old bike) Just wanted to let you know I was not critizising you for makin thats all. Not sure how my post about useing M/C forks sounded on your end...ok? Pals??.trk.trk.trk (<<<I included C.H. in this ride)

David
Thanks David for including me on your ride.

Your suggestions are always welcome here in this forum David, especially about using motorcycle forks. Some members here actually use Suzuki K10 front forks for their builds.

What I need and am grateful for is Jim @Pedalchopper for the professionally engineered and production these extra wide extra long style forks for use on Choppers & Stretch Cruisers.

David, I was not offended and I'm almost certain that neither Pedalchopper was offended, by your suggestions. That's one reason why this motorized bicycle forum is so great, so many great laid back good people here wanting to share and help others enjoy motorized bicycles.

C.H.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Crazy Horse

C.H.
Update May 21, 2013

For those of you following my Stretch XL Chopper build, I've had this build on hold, waiting for Pedalchopper's next run on Extra Wide Forks, aka Wide Ride Forks ( http://www.pedalchopper.com/wide-ride-forks-fat-boy-style-forks/ ) these forks are awesome with tabs for front disc brake, I'd suggest in future production run's that the Top Yoke not be milled which would allow builders the choice of using Stock Schwinn OCC Chopper Riser's or the BMX Handlebar clamps.

Just received confirmation from Jim @ Pedalchopper.com, my requested Top Yoke without the milled center section is in this next production run, which will allow me to use the stock Schwinn OCC Chopper Risers for this build!

Here's what the forks look like with the Top Yoke milled, and this build has the BMX style handlebar clamp to hold handlebars in place, with this style top yoke risers cannot be used, the top yoke must smooth to allow use of Stock OCC Chopper Risers.

As you can see in below picture the center of top yoke is milled, which will not allow the use of Riser's, it must be smooth without the indented / milled center section. So as promised by Jim @ Pedalchopper.com, he's finally having a third or fourth:confused: production run of the Wide Ride Forks, with a new Top Yoke for my Wide Ride Forks to accept Stock Schwinn OCC Riser's.

These are the Moon Bars / Beach Cruiser Handlebars that I'm using on these new Super Fat Tire / Wheel front forks.

C.H.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Update May 21, 2013

For those of you following my Stretch XL Chopper build, I've had this build on hold, waiting for Pedalchopper's next run on Extra Wide Forks, aka Wide Ride Forks ( http://www.pedalchopper.com/wide-ride-forks-fat-boy-style-forks/ ) these forks are awesome with tabs for front disc brake, I'd suggest in future production run's that the Top Yoke not be milled which would allow builders the choice of using Stock Schwinn OCC Chopper Riser's or the BMX Handlebar clamps.

Just received confirmation from Jim @ Pedalchopper.com, my requested Top Yoke without the milled center section is in this next production run, which will allow me to use the stock Schwinn OCC Chopper Risers for this build!

Here's what the forks look like with the Top Yoke milled, and this build has the BMX style handlebar clamp to hold handlebars in place, with this style top yoke risers cannot be used, the top yoke must smooth to allow use of Stock OCC Chopper Risers.

As you can see in below picture the center of top yoke is milled, which will not allow the use of Riser's, it must be smooth without the indented / milled center section. So as promised by Jim @ Pedalchopper.com, he's finally having a third or fourth:confused: production run of the Wide Ride Forks, with a new Top Yoke for my Wide Ride Forks to accept Stock Schwinn OCC Riser's.

C.H.

Thank you, Jim @ Pedalchopper.com just checked tracking information should be here for delivery Friday May 31, 2013

Can't wait to put the new top yoke which accepts stock OCC Schwinn Stingray Chopper Risers / handlebar clamps on my XL Chopper build, here's the link: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=18970

I will be using Beach Cruiser Moon Bar's for a more laid back riding position, on these Super Fat Wheel front forks.

Picture before adding Fat Boy Forks aka Pedalchopper Wide Ride Super Fat Tire Forks.

Below picture shows new Fat Boy Super Fat Tire front forks.

C.H.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Making some progress on this build....

Many Thanks, to Jim @ Pedalchopper.com for the New Wide Ride forks Top Yoke setup for using stock Schwinn Stingray Riser's, packing was excellent with this new Top Yoke, and shipping was very fast, mailed from Ft Myers, FL on Tuesday May 28, 2013 to Wash, D.C. arrived Thursday May 30, 2013

The first run of these forks only allowed the use of BMX Style 4-Bolt Stem, new version allows for Both options:
http://www.pedalchopper.com/wide-ride-forks-fat-boy-style-forks/

See Below pictures with Ape Hanger Handlebars installed, these are only temporary, as I'll be using Half Moon Beach Cruiser Handlebars as soon as I get them from Jim, @ http://www.pedalchopper.com/bicycle-parts-accessories/handlebars/

C.H.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Crazy Horse,

Are those forks wide enough to take a Dunlop 402 tire? I believe the Dunlop 402 is 5.10 to 5.20 inches wide.

I plan to build a Move Machine that was posted a few weeks ago by the builder. I like the look of the OCC chopper rim/tire on the rear, but it is only 20 inches tall. I would like something near 26" inches tall. The Dunlop 402 are 25.70" tall.

Looks like you can buy a lot of used 402s on Ebay for around $50. They would last a while on a motorized bike. Might be able to get them cheaper locally at a wrecking yard.

I look forward to seeing you finish this build.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Crazy Horse,

Are those forks wide enough to take a Dunlop 402 tire? I believe the Dunlop 402 is 5.10 to 5.20 inches wide.

I plan to build a Move Machine that was posted a few weeks ago by the builder. I like the look of the OCC chopper rim/tire on the rear, but it is only 20 inches tall. I would like something near 26" inches tall. The Dunlop 402 are 25.70" tall.

Looks like you can buy a lot of used 402s on Ebay for around $50. They would last a while on a motorized bike. Might be able to get them cheaper locally at a wrecking yard.

I look forward to seeing you finish this build.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
BigBlue, these pictures should answer your question. Will the Harley-Davidson Dunlop D 402 tires fit, picture's tell a thousand words....

BigBlue, see my thread about Mounting motorcycle tires on Schwinn Stingray Chopper Rear Wheels:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=48456

I purchased my Wide Ride Fatboy Front Forks from Jim, @Pedalchopper, he designed an adapter that allows you to use a Stock Schwinn Stingray Chopper Rear wheel remove the Freewheel sprocket screw on Jim's adapter that allows you to bolt on a 6-hole disc brake rotor, the forks have disc brake caliper mounts, so if you have an extra rear wheel these forks make the ultimate front disc brake setup and you get the Fatboy look...

Here's the Link to Wide Ride Fatboy style Forks from Pedalchopper.com, that I'm using:
http://www.pedalchopper.com/wide-ride-forks-fat-boy-style-forks/

C.H.

Attachments