My first race bike build!!!

GoldenMotor.com

deonsrace

Apr 1, 2014
Miramar
Looking for advise.
I have a 29' bike and have a 212cc predator motor. Any ideas and incite on how i might be able to able to mount this big motor to this big bike? and what size jack shaft, rear sprocket would be good as well and as to where I might be able to buy the parts from as well.

Your Thoughts and advise would be great coming from guys how have been there and done that a few times.

Attachments

deonsrace

Apr 1, 2014
Miramar
Did a little motor work today. I bi passed the governor made a arm to connect to the throttle arm and connected it to my carb so that the carb is not always open full.

mech_engineer

Mar 3, 2014
Puerto Rico
I buy a front and rear brake disc kit for 30 and buy a front hub for mtb that has the disc base.. for the rear buy a disc adapter that use the 9 bolts from the sprocket to hold the disc

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
You can't put a rear disk brake in the rear, nor do you need one. Many Arrow racers only use the front brake anyway. Have you got a coaster brake hub? Those wheels never blow my socks off with the quality.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Have you thought about making an adapter and mounting the rear disk on the jack shaft instead of the rear wheel? I've seen it done before but can't remember where I saw it.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yeah... that's pretty much what I was talking about... I've seen it used on these bikes somewhere, and it's been done on go karts etc when there's no room for a brake rotor on the axle it's self

deonsrace

Apr 1, 2014
Miramar
Yea. Doing my brake this way is going to save me about $350 at bike shop here.
Now im trying to see how i can mount it to the plate in the same application.
Trying to see if he drilled thru his sprocket and what else he did to his application.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Most bicycle rotors have a standard 6 hole bolt pattern, most likely he has all 6 bolts installed but 3 of these bolts are longer, then he has a spacer (or maybe 3 individual spacers) between the sprocket and the rotor. basically, you could use a piece of aluminum to make the spacer and either drill all 6 holes, or drill 3 for a sprocket and counter bore the other 3. This can be done with a slice of round bar stock in the diameter needed for your application. This can be done pretty cheap at a machine shop.

Method 2...
You can use 3 spacers between the sprocket and rotor, the spacers will need to be wide enough to support both pieces without tipping over and ruining the sprocket, the rotor, or both, then they need to be long enough to give you the distance between the parts you'll need. So, for let's say the holes in the rotor and the sprocket are 1/4", then you'd want the spacer to be at least 3/4" wide and no more than 1" long, 1" wide would be even better... these can be made out of aluminum round bar stock, or if you can find some pre made spacers and buy them, even easier.

If you plan on making serious power with your engine, use the single ring spacer method, this type can take way more abuse.

deonsrace

Apr 1, 2014
Miramar
Got it thanks Davezilla!

Im wondering how i will mount this motor now being i have a aluminum frame. So i cannont weld with my flux core welder. Any ideas?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Ya won't be welding the aluminum with a flux core, but if you make all the brackets etc and have everything prepped and ready it shouldn't cost too much to have a welder do it for you, just make sure you have everything marked where it's supposed to go and try to be there when it's being done... nothing worse than paying for some welding and something's not where it's supposed to be when ya get it back.

deonsrace

Apr 1, 2014
Miramar
Im going to see what i can come up with as far as how i can mount it ill try some heavy duty u bolts and all thread and see if i get any pay out of it.