The Bairdco Speed Demon Racer

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Came out really nice...clean build.First time I have seen a cylinder tank hanging from the top bar look good,nice work

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
thanks guys. :)

you'll still beat me scotto, but my whole bike weighs less than your lawnmower engine. it's just under 50lbs. :)

it's got a thumb throttle on it now, but that's gotta go. i wanted to try it out because my carpal tunnel syndrome kicks in after some hard laps twisting the throttle, but braking is sketchy with it. it leaves you barely hanging on and just feels clumsy.

it also needs different gearing. i only have really small sprovkets left and a 30t is too low for the track. i'm gonna make an adapter to use bmx sprockets so i have plenty of cheap sprockts to try out.

it's fast right now, but needs some tuning. plenty of time before the next race to get her dialed in...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
thanks guys. :)

you'll still beat me scotto, but my whole bike weighs less than your lawnmower engine. it's just under 50lbs. :)

it's got a thumb throttle on it now, but that's gotta go. i wanted to try it out because my carpal tunnel syndrome kicks in after some hard laps twisting the throttle, but braking is sketchy with it. it leaves you barely hanging on and just feels clumsy.

it also needs different gearing. i only have really small sprovkets left and a 30t is too low for the track. i'm gonna make an adapter to use bmx sprockets so i have plenty of cheap sprockts to try out.

it's fast right now, but needs some tuning. plenty of time before the next race to get her dialed in...
It looks great and rides just the same I'm sure! Next race you're gonna take my lawn mower for a few laps around the track, I insist. Can't wait too see the grin on yer face when ya do ;)

I absolutely love the color of your bike too.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i'm using one of the anodized pistons i got from moonerdrizzle a while back. i put a lot of miles on one in my street bike before the crash and it showed very little signs of wear.

my old aermacchi head is on the bike now. i've got an ashtray head i may try also.

the rest is all starfire internals.

i'm gonna do a lot of tuning and parts swapping til i get the right set up.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
did a lot of changes, and here's how it looks now, ready to race, except for some jetting and gearing changes i'll be doing for willow springs.

the small cylinder tank was too small for the 22mm mikuni, so i made a 6" cannonball tank that holds a half gallon.

cut out and welded a custom gusset/mount bracket and it's ready to bomb the track.

chopped up a KTM pipe for the exhaust, swapped the aermacchi head for an ashtray, and a few other things and i've got a very fast, lightweight speedster...

Attachments

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
Where on earth do you get a 6inch cannonball gas tank from? :confused:
there's a metal surplus store near me and they make them for light post toppers. i buy all my metal stuff there, and have been eyeing them for years, waiting for a bike to use one on.

i was surprised at the volume of a 6" sphere. having forgotten all my math skills, i had to google it and it's 62.xxx oz, so roughly a half gallon, my little cylinder tank held 24oz, and i was scared it would'nt make it ten + laps. a re-start would probably run me ot of gas.

i painted it textured black to look like a cartoon bomb. i was thinking of painting a "boom!" graphic on it but it wouldn't match the bike.

nashmoto

Apr 21, 2010
Northern California
Nice looking build bairdco. The essence of a motorized bike with the "bairdco" extras. Nice drill pattern on the clutch case. Kickback and front caliper brakes would make me nervous!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Clean, simple with a lot of attention to detail. They don't come much finer.
Thanks for sharing your skills with us, Baird.

Tom

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
just finished up my sprocket adapter adapter.

cut out a piece of steel and drilled it to take any 5 bolt chainring, and bolt up to the manic mechanic hub adapter.

i've got a 37t old school Pro Neck on it now. should be about right for willow.

this bike's scary fast. accelerates super quick off the line, and once the pipe comes on in the midrange it just keeps going. it feels faster than any bike i've built so far. i haven't maxed it out yet 'cause i'm scared. seriously. i keep picturing myself flying over the bars. :(

hopefully i don't wuss out on the track. i think full gear plus the adrenaline should take over and it'll be racing as usual...

Attachments

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Nice build Baird, hopefully the exhaust doesn't fly off like it did before. Is the race still going on at Willow in April? I haven't seen any hype about it in the race thread. Have fun and keep the rubber on the ground .shft.