The Bairdco Speed Demon Racer

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Here's the new race bike i'm building for next season.

Starting with a 1975, 24" Schwinn Speedster frame, fork, cranks and sprocket i picked up for $40.

frame and fork had 3 coats of crappy paint on it so i stripped it and repainted metal flake, almost like the original. also reinforced the weak points at the seat stays and dropouts, and welded in a gusset in the rear.

the forks, bars and cranks got painted textured black to emulate the old Ashtabula BMX parts of the 70's.

wheels are alloy Alex rims, with the rear drilled for 12g spokes and a shimano "D" series coaster. the D came from the 70's, early 80's, and in my opinion is better than the E series. front wheel has 14g spokes with a bmx hub and a vintage dia compe deluxe caliper brake, and they're both roling on Kenda Kiniptions.

i went with the coaster brake 'cause it's one less lever, and i like dragging it through turns while still going full throttle. keeps the revs up, and slows down just enough. it'll skid if i want it.

i think brakes are over rated on our race bikes. i mean, yeah, you gotta stop, but the power to weight ratio of our little bikes doesn't require monster disc brakes.

the dia compe caliper will flip me over the bars if i want it to. which i don't...

my goal on this bike is to keep it simple, lightweight, and fast.

my other bikes have all been heavy duty. there's really no need for worksman wheels and 11g spokes at the track. and those moped wheels and pirelli tires i was running weigh a friggen ton.

total weight on this speedster as a bicycle is 28lbs. there's a few things i can do to cut that down another 5lbs. right now it's got thorn proof tubes, kickstand, heavy seat, etc.

my goal is to have the complete bike under 50lbs. my little red and blue racer weighed 70.

the lighter the bike, the faster it goes, right?

plenty of room for an engine with the camelback frame design.

here's some pics:

Attachments

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i'm surprised no one's building these frames into bikes. it took me a few weeks to find a 24, but they were made in 20", 22", 24",26" and even 28's. they show up on craigs all the time around here for cheap, as long as they're not restored or complete originals. schwinn made a million of 'em.

might not be the strongest bike, but they're still better than a walmart huffy...:)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I really like that Camel back frame.

Less weight is a big advantage on the track and brakes.....did you see the knobby tired bike that Jimmy Rust won the Intermediate 2 stroke class on? :D

Now you just need a motor that won't put a hole in the piston.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
That is really nice! Love the v-frame motor nesting and Schwinn dropouts. Your power to weight theory must have some merit.

I would think the 24 incher would handle a little better than most in the turns especially with stock fork.

Have you ever figured how much fuel you use in 1 heat of racing?

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Bike looks great Baird. My china bike weighed in at 65#. I used 1/2 qt fuel per moto/main. I used regular tubes filled with nitrogen (lighter than O2). my spokes were 14g no problems, 36 per wheel. Man, i want to race that bike again.

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
I used 1/2 qt fuel per moto/main.
hope you're right about that. i made a tank that holds 20oz. :)

i've got the motor mounted and i made a manifold for a 22mm mikuni. still have to build an x chamber and make some tank mounts.

i'll post some pictures when it's done, 'cause right now it doesn't look much different than the first ones i posted...