Success????

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Complained a while back about the ole stroker not wanting to run except under full choke. Walked out to the shop and there it sat with a rear flat. So I put that hot job off for a month or so, then dove into it today. While there went through all the fuel sys, tightened stuff, checked this fixed that and took it out in the sun. Down the driveway, popped the clutch and bam ,,,,, it ran like a top. Carb loose or something, probably trash. Took it around the block making sure it would run and get me home. Big smiles waving to all and engine chain came off. I have nowzpt made love to a fuel tank and have no toes in my shoes. Walked home, if one could call it that and put back into shop. Gonna punish the thing again. Still like it but electric maybe or belt drive or leave it to the young crowd. gphil

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Re: Sucess????

Yeah gphil, I've always said the hardest part of the build is getting the chain alignment right. The best way I've found is to run yer chain over the engine sprocket, stretch it straight back while looking down the chain. You can see when it's center on the engine sprocket. STRAIGHT BACK from there is where your rear sprocket should be. You can try a straight edge but that never worked very well for me.
You can add or take away spacing on the sprocket to get it right. On some I've used two of those rubber spacers, on others I've cut them down to 1/2 thickness to get it closer to the hub.
I haven't used the rag joint mount on any of my personal bikes for a while now, just on customer bikes. A good hub adapter is the only way to go. I've got the Howard Sprocket Adapter on mine. But any decent adapter is better than the rag joint.
fatdaddy.
P.S. I'm 58 years young. Never say die.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia

Well Fat Daddy, got a few years on you and still having fun. I never took a shine to the "rag joint" either. When I built this bike only one was offered on the market I think, machined alum, really nice. Have not heard of the one you mentioned. I really like the "J" shaft drive a little better . But I think I may swap out this connection I now have and get a adapter . I think looking back on the mess, the idle pully was not tightened enough and slipped down a little and you know accidents start out as small errors. Thanks for the come back. gphil

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

The Howard adapter only fits some of the coaster brake hubs. I'm running it on my 2011 Huffy Cranbrook. I THINK I'm finally finished building after almost a year. I turned it into a motorcycle with a 12v system for a headlight, tail light, turn signals, horn. ammo cases for side cases, windscreen, speed carb and boost bottle. Even with all the weight I clocked it at 35mph. Now, on to the next project.
fatdaddy.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia

Fat Daddy,

My bike is a Cranbrook too. So it sounds according to you that the Howard adapter would fit on the coaster brake hub. I emailed that fella but no response as of yet well will see. Probably get me one. Your build sounds great and it seems I saw a pic of it remembered because of the ammo boxes. That is cool too. Later gphil

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Sgt. Howard designed the hub for the Cranbrook he rides. It will also fit the Schwinn, Worksman and La Jolla with the coaster brake hub.(1.523")
Anyway, The Sarge is out of stock on the hubs right now. I have the last one. He couldn't be sure when he would be able to do another run. He had to move to another location and find a CNC guy in his new area,(Washington,) then his daughter just got married here in my area(S.J. Ca.) and he stopped by my place. Long story short, He's been real busy. PM me and I'll give you my email. I don't do business on the site.(Not registered as a vender.) You can check out the hub at.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/3361238250.html
fatdaddy. AKA Big Red.
P.S. I'll shoot you some pics of my bikes too.