Thumb Throttle...?

GoldenMotor.com

carl_baron123

Jan 12, 2009
Australia
Would it be possible to attach a honda quaddie's thumb throttle up to my whipper snipper (weed wacker) engine? I have both a thumb throttle and a spare brake lever and cable lying around and I was wondering whether I should use the thumb throttle off the 4x4 bike or use the brake lever. I thought that the thumb throttle would be more convenient and feel better on your hand but I wasn't sure how I could hook it up to the weed wacker...any ideas? I havn't bought my ww yet so I can't really test it out but it will be coming in the next few days if everything goes to plan... I have another ww there i can look at if u give me some info on it. Thanks, Baron.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
yes!
Depending on how the end attaches to the weedwacher you might have to do some fancy attachment of the 2. I've used:
zipties worked surprisingly well
wire links worked well but failed after a long ride but lasted a good 5 miles
wrapped in copper wire and then soldered- my current set up and seems bomb proof

A lot of the whackers use funny end pieces that you have to attach to the end of your throttle. WW and quad carbs are not alike.

carl_baron123

Jan 12, 2009
Australia
oh ok thankyou. And does anybody know whether a Stihl 48cc engine will rotate the end when it is idleing? Does it have some sort of centrifugal clutch like a chainsaw?

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Re: Thought I bought the farm

.bld.
Today i scared myself badly. I was flying full throttle down lakeshore drive in Penticton b.c. Iam fully studded 296 nokians--tuned muffler and fast carb--chain flew off and wrapped itself around the rear sprocket and took out a bunch of spokes it was like slamming on the rear brake--but with studs you stop real fast and a lady behind me almost hit me.
WHAT DID I LEARN -A FULL CHECK EACH AND EVERY TIME!! IF I HAD NOTICED IT THE REAR CHAIN TENSIONER ALINGNER WAS LOOSE--so i spent a bunch now to fix it.:-||

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
oh ok thankyou. And does anybody know whether a Stihl 48cc engine will rotate the end when it is idleing? Does it have some sort of centrifugal clutch like a chainsaw?
not every whacker has a clutch if it does you will be able to idle. YOu'll have to check and see if it has a clutch. the better the whacker the more likely it will have a clutch most likely a stihl will...

carl_baron123

Jan 12, 2009
Australia
not every whacker has a clutch if it does you will be able to idle. YOu'll have to check and see if it has a clutch. the better the whacker the more likely it will have a clutch most likely a stihl will...
Yer, sent the guy an email and he said it spins straight away when you start the engine which is a bit suprising.