Engine warm up

GoldenMotor.com

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
.duh.You all do not have to worry about me shareing any information any more. I found out that my information is not welcome so do what you want too.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I welcome it and didn't know that all engines were that way. I do know that the Tecumesh engines will blow rods if you don't let them warm up prier to using.
It just makes scense that the engines expand after warm up,and i want to thank you for the info. My son went through small engines at colage and says the same thing about them..................Curt

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
I went through about 25 different schools and up dates during my 26 years working on them. but I am no longer shareing my information on here. It appears somebody on here don't like it. Thanks anyway hope your son the best. I had lots of fun during my career working on them.

TravisT

May 10, 2022
For those of you who do not know the importance of letting the engine warm up for five minutes before takeing off on your bikes for the first time of the day or night. This information I learned in Motorcycle school. The pistons in all bikes are slightly cone shaped smaller at the top than down at the skirt. The reason for this is the top of the piston is going to expand more from the heat on top from all the little explosions of repeated fireing. After they warm up they are steight up and down on the walls from the top to bottom of the piston. The cylinder and head of aluminum also expands and contracts on their respective gaskets. So if you take off before they have expanded your piston is rattleing at the top from being loose in the cylinder and oils and compression can leak from your gaskets. That is what causes the most engine failures or excessive wear and blow by from your head gasket and base gaskets. Harley found this out the hard way when they went from the iron heads and cylinders to the aluminum Evolution motors. We had to change out many cylinder base gaskets and head gaskets under warranty. They were blowing oil every where. They then started changeing gasket material and looking for why until they realized how long it took to warm up and tighten up on the gaskets. Takeing off with a cold motor puts crank case pressue on gaskets and causes them to leak or blow out..duh.

I understand how the cylinder not expanding fully at the top with the crank under a heavy load too early not allowing the top end to make good downstroke power for it to balance out and go with, etc. but I'm not understanding how thats causing primary compression (case pressures) to build up enough to blow gaskets. like any gaskets : /

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Much to do about nothing. These engines are so crudely built that it’s really amazing the run as well as they do. There’s absolutely no temperature regulation on them. Ride one in the winter and it’s likely running 100 degrees cooler than riding in the summer. By the way, compensating for expansion is generally done in the cylinder bore, it’s called choke bore and when cold the top is tighter that the bottom, when hot the top expands so that the bore is the same from top to bottom. This is how aircraft air cooled engines have solved the problem for about 75 years.

TravisT

May 10, 2022
Much to do about nothing. These engines are so crudely built that it’s really amazing the run as well as they do. There’s absolutely no temperature regulation on them. Ride one in the winter and it’s likely running 100 degrees cooler than riding in the summer. By the way, compensating for expansion is generally done in the cylinder bore, it’s called choke bore and when cold the top is tighter that the bottom, when hot the top expands so that the bore is the same from top to bottom. This is how aircraft air cooled engines have solved the problem for about 75 years.
doesnt matter what kind of two-stroke it is. "Crudely" constructed or not, on a brand new bore, it still requires being properly broken in so the rings can cut into the crosshatch surface and evenly seat into the bore. if it isn't done properly, and the apex of the crosshatch becomes "polished" over before the rings cut in, they will never be allowed to cut in properly and evenly without being honed and new crosshatch lines put in. Without seating in correctly, the engine will never perform well at all.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
doesnt matter what kind of two-stroke it is. "Crudely" constructed or not, on a brand new bore, it still requires being properly broken in so the rings can cut into the crosshatch surface and evenly seat into the bore. if it isn't done properly, and the apex of the crosshatch becomes "polished" over before the rings cut in, they will never be allowed to cut in properly and evenly without being honed and new crosshatch lines put in. Without seating in correctly, the engine will never perform well at all.
BS. These things are literally made in peoples back yards in China. That’s how they can sell an entire setup for $80.00. There is zero quality control. Pay your money and take your chances.

• Haha
Reactions: TravisT

TravisT

May 10, 2022
BS. These things are literally made in peoples back yards in China. That’s how they can sell an entire setup for $80.00. There is zero quality control. Pay your money and take your chances.
Wrong, and as stated, a two-stroke is a two-stroke, it still needs to be broken in properly, regardless of who made it, or how, or how good the quality is. Even if it is lower quality materials and workmanship, that makes proper break-in procedure even more of a prevalent necessity

TravisT

May 10, 2022
Larry, also you can scoff about the quality of the cheap "$80.00" setups all you want, but i've heard nothing but good reviews about them and people have put hundreds and thousands of miles on them. I've been running a cheap china kit on my bike for the last 2 months and have adopted it as a primary commute every day, and its already paid for itself multiple times in fuel saving. So even if it were to take a dump and I had to rebuilt it or buy another one, it would still be worth it mulitple times over. Mine doesnt seem to be exhibiting any issues, and after I did the break-in procedure, I switched over to good high filming strength synthetic oil, which will also help increase its operational longevity. As a matter of fact ive got people wanting me to build them for them at this point. And I will tell them the same thing I'm telling you or anyone else, if you take care of it it will last you long time, but taking care of it has specifics to it that cannot be ignored. Otherwise, that's when you run into problems.