Clutch Problems and A lot of Shaking on low rpm HELP!!

GoldenMotor.com

Sexypena

Feb 1, 2014
Porterville
#1 I've been having problems with my kit, Okay so my problem is clutch squeaking and drag ,I'm pretty sure it's my clutch because once I have my engine running and I pull the clutch in and it's idling (where the engine is on and running but I can pedal still) the noise goes away . (While I pedal and the engine is off ,there is no noise/squeak only when the engine is running and the clutch is out)But once I pedal and get up to speed and release the clutch it starts squeaking pretty bad like louder than the exhaust while I'm riding it. Also it drags, it's kinda hard to explain but basically while im riding , the drag I'm talking about feels like ,if I was to apply the bike brakes a little bit

#2 The shaking , I need to always be giving my bike alittle bit of throttle if not ,if I just leave it without giving It throttle it starts to go slower and slower till it's going about 1-2 mph then starts shaking real bad and eventually turns off. Also I know it's not my idler screw because once I hit my clutch in while it's shaking it will either just idle and shaking goes away or it will just turn off once I hit the clutch in.

I will make a video tommorow and I will post it

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
At the end of #2 I was thinking to myself: "This guy'd better post a video.". Glad to see you will...VERY helpful.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It sounds like you need to lubricate the drive gears, possibly the clutch hub bearings and you are running the engine too slow. 15 to 20 MPH is good for traveling slow, perhaps 10 MPH at the maximum slowness. At that speed the engine will be barely above idle speed. Any slower than that and the engine will be running too slow and it will buck and surge and struggle to stay running.
Squeeze in the clutch when you are traveling less than 10 MPH.
1 to 2 MPH (!??)... I am surprised that the engine will run at all. It should have already stalled at that speed.
If you do not give it any throttle you should expect it to not have any power and it should slow down until you experience exactly what you are experiencing.
If you wish to travel really slow all the time you will need to get a large rear sprocket, like a 70 tooth.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
All the sounds that I heard were perfectly normal. There was no squeaking.
There is a very distinct ( some folks feel that it is loud) gear whine that all chinagirls make when you are traveling down the road under engine power. This is due to the fact that the gear teeth are straight cut gears. The gear teeth are cut straight across from one side to the other as opposed to helical cut gears which do not make this sound.
Older model Harley-Davidsons are notorious for straight cut gear whine.
Have you ever heard the whine of a car or truck traveling in reverse? Straight cut gear whine once again. They all do it no matter what they are installed in.

Trying to lubricate the gears with excessive grease will not help quieten down the gear noise, only make a bigger grease mess inside the gear case.
Listen to other folk's videos and you will hear the same gear whine in all of them.

Also, check to see if the flower nut is dragging on the inside of the clutch cover.
If it is that will add a scraping sound to the gear whine.
All 3 of my chinagirls had the flower nut scraping and they finally scraped themselves until there was clearance and the scraping stopped. You can install a thicker gear cover gasket to space the cover farther away from the flower nut if it really bothers you.

You can use sound deadening techniques to muffle the gear whine.
These are possibly the best around: http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ucts_id=140&osCsid=u2ck0c47iaflgjaq43d8tvv4g0

Here ia a thread on the subject: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=14133&highlight=gear+noise

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Thanks for posting a vid. I agree with GearNut; I perceive no abnormal noise, although the shaking you describe should be a concern...it seems that your engine is hitting your system's harmonic, and the increased amplitude of the vibration is rattling the whole bike. I would have a good look at your mounting studs/nuts and make sure they're properly torqued.

As for "noise", I have a veritable $#!+ ton of riding vids here you can compare against: http://www.youtube.com/user/CookieMcHaid

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You are not the first and won't be the last to think something is wrong with his or her engine when it is new, everyone I have built has had some gear whine. Some are worse than others my first engine was loud, the one I'm building now is fairly quite.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All good and sound advice but I will say that I had an engine that had an especially loud gear noise. It was a pulsating sound, not smooth but increased with engine rpm. I traced it to a primary drive gear, right side, small gear, that had been drilled off center and at an angle. When it meshed with the secondary gear it would get tight then loose and actually wobbled on the shaft. It was very noisy.
I replaced the gear and all was well.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I know the sound you are talking about, I had one that the small gear screw loosened up causing a pulsing noise.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I've found a similar problem with the clutch flywheel not seating square on the tapered shaft and making the whole clutch wobble excessively.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It's easy to get things off with the key and cause wobble unless you're careful to assemble things correctly. Take the time to check that the keys are straight and centered so the gears pull on straight. Don't just go gorilla on the puller, use some oil and be gentle when putting things back together. Only the last few turns should require much force to seat things.

Sexypena

Feb 1, 2014
Porterville
Thanks for the advise ! This is my first build , I've never seen a motorized bike before in person I've only seen them online ,I'm probably the only person in my whole town that has one

I do have a another question on a side note ;have you guys done anything to your exhaust or changed it out ,anything like that?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thanks for the advise ! This is my first build , I've never seen a motorized bike before in person I've only seen them online ,I'm probably the only person in my whole town that has one

I do have a another question on a side note ;have you guys done anything to your exhaust or changed it out ,anything like that?
Do a forum search for expansion chamber, center of the page near the top.

Like this:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=expansion chamber&gsc.page=1