Question for EZM dealers

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I currently have a Q-Matic. I am thinking of changing out the driven pulley to the new style balanced cast iron one as found in the new Pacesetter systems.
Will I need to change out my current drive belt too?

Sorry if this has been answered before...

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Was talking with Whelan when he got his pacesetter pulley, and he did mention the longer belt I'm pretty sure. I'll pm him on fb with this thread for ya. But it makes sense, 1/2"(ish) larger pulley, that much longer belt eh?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thank you very much, Killercanuck!
Yes, the longer belt does make sense which is why I asked, but I also wanted to confirm my suspicion.
I am budgeting in this change and now I have a better idea of what it will cost.
I will wait for Whelan's advice too.
Hopefully I will not need to change out the outer shaft support bracket as well.
More $$$ = longer time to build up the budget...

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Yeah gear nut you'll need a longer belt to fit the 5.45 inch rear pulley properly. The belt i'm using right now is a Motor master 15265 11AV0672 automotive belt that I got from Canaidian tire out here for $12.95 last year. I was the first person to buy the transmission upgrades here in Canada and i really put it to the test with my most recent bike tour where I ended up covering 987 miles in 8 day's as a round trip. I must say it handled quite impressively well with my 68t sprocket and tour load that weighed in around 75/80 lb.'s on the bike. It'll lower your clutch's engagement speed from 25 m.p.h. down to 20 m.p.h. if your using the stock set up with the 4.95 inch rear pulley and the 56t sprocket. I had mine set up with the 68t sprocket and my clutch engagement speed was around 10 m.p.h. and it fully locked up at around 11.5 m.p.h. with my touring ratio being at 18.53:1. As far as I know right now I might be the only one in Canada to own the pace setter set up. if you need any more info let me know eh. Here's some pic's of the pace setter set up and belt.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Oh yeah there gear nut you will have to change out the solid one piece outer bearing support for the new billet three piece bearing support in order to fit the belt and rear pulley in the transmission properly. That's what I had to do with mine though. Here's a bunch of pic's showing the three piece billet aluminum outer bearing support for the pace setter set up. If you need any more info don't be shy to ask me eh :) :p .

xct2 cflg

Attachments

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Oh yeah there gear nut you will have to change out the solid one piece outer bearing support for the new billet three piece bearing support in order to fit the belt and rear pulley in the transmission properly. That's what I had to do with mine though. Here's a bunch of pic's showing the three piece billet aluminum outer bearing support for the pace setter set up. If you need any more info don't be shy to ask me eh :) :p .

xct2 cflg
How much did it cost for all the parts?
Thanks

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi whelan wheels. Wouldn't the 5/8 inch shaft have to be a little bit longer to compensate for the little bit wider 3-piece billet bearing support, or would the original shaft still work good enough, and also I imagine to save money on parts one could use 1/8 inch thick flat aluminum say 1/2 inch wide between the original bracket and the face plate to get the extra width for the 5.45 inch pulley. I'm sorry I'm getting confused, are you going for extra width with the 3 piece bearing support or extra length to compensate for the larger diameter of the pace setter 5.45 inch pulley? I have an older style Q-matic and the rounded brackets look long enough to fit a 5.45 inch pulley but not wide enough. Thankyou.