Help... With Mounting (Friction Bike)

GoldenMotor.com

Friction

Nov 25, 2008
On planet Earth
:ride2:Hello dear forum members (power bike enthusiasts)
I am making a friction drive bike and i need some help
with mounting my engine without damaging my bike.
I was wondering if anyone had any (pictures) ideas on mounting engines :oops: .

P.S. I am mounting on my rear wheel ;)

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You have come to the right place....someone will take your call in the order recieved....

Welcome to the place!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
First send pictures of your engine and your bike. Some scratches have to be expected. What kind of engine are you using are you building your own drive system as well.

In other words the more we know about your build the easier it will be to help...

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
For mine I built a small frame that fit over my wheel, the engine attaches to this, spidle direct to the engine. Then I made a clamp that attached to the frame of my bike. I have a few other modifications, but nothing permanent to my bike.

Check out some of the pictures in this forum to get ideas.

I've put 2 pics attached. First is of my clamp. I've redone the clamp and now use a piece of right angle and hinges rather than the old hinge with the all thread. It works very well. Next shows the engine on the bike.

After I get to this point in a build I use a gate spring and turnbuckle to give me adjustable tension on the tire. Engine lifts up and down with a brake lever, cable and 2 pulleys. Hope the pics help. This section of the forum has al the info you need to start.

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
with weed eater type engines you have two choices case on case off. It will depend on the type you get which way you go. Some like shoes engine will allow you to put your drive wheel one and still keep the case other like I usually get won't. That makes the mounts a little different.

Also how you want to hook it to the bike. So get it all together and we will see what you think..

Friction

Nov 25, 2008
On planet Earth
You knowe what my camera's down right now but i can tell u the weed wacker i got is a 31 cc ryobi But Im feeling I will have to take the sheel of for more shaft.fly

Friction

Nov 25, 2008
On planet Earth
i have a pretty good idea know on how to mount it but if you have any other ideas post up some pics !
please share any ideas

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
the engine I showed you before is a 31cc ryobi 790r. To mount using the case- I used my trusty dremel with a rotary saw bit in it to trim the case so it was flat.

IMO- and my 2 cents it is not good to run these engines with out the case. the fly wheel is designed to suck air in through openings and force it over the engine in a specific way. removing that shroud/case removes the flywheels ability to cool the engine.

If you are like me you are going to beat the h3ll out of that engine- you will get the longest life and most fun out of it if you keep the case...

I trimmed mine so it was flat and used the holes on it that held the clutch and shaft to it. along with the original bolts and some loctite- I have very little vibration and I put over 100miles on the engine last summer and I did some long rides with it- 15 to 20 miles in a stretch.(^)

Friction

Nov 25, 2008
On planet Earth
yeah have a ryobi 700r and im going to take the clutch bell off so i have more shaft length because my shaft is quite short
and could you send me a pic of were u trimmed it beacause i dont quite get what you mean by I trimmed it flat.