lost power, don't know why

GoldenMotor.com

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
Tried another similar forum and not getting any help. Can't hurt to try another.
I need HELP!!!! :-||

I am not a mechanic. Pretty sure if I knew what to change I could. But figuring out what to replace, repair etc. This has me stumped.
Tried searching forums but without knowing what to search for....
Hoping someone can help me diagnose this.

Had my bike for a few years now. Over 1600 miles on it and it's always run perfectly.
Here is a photo when it was new. (I post here only so you mechanical people can see what kind of motor is it.)
artmakersworlds.com/testing/Bike/Bike1REPLACED.jpg

So... Memorial day I took it out, added just a bit of gas (almost out from a previous ride.) rode around town. For the first time since I got it, the motor was sounding like crap. But only when I slowed and then tried to go again. It's like it just didn't have any power. I had to peddle just to get it up to speed, then it seemed fine.

Got home, left it running and fiddled with the throttle. Fine. No problems with it getting fuel. I cranked it wide open thinking if there was a clog in the exhaust or some such thing it would sputter or sound bad or blast out black smoke, but no. It wound up just fine. Shut it off and went to scratch head.

20 min later went for another ride only now it simply will NOT power up.
I peddle, engage motor, it is running. I can give it gas and it runs faster so I can rule out the fact that my peddling is the only thing turning it over.
Pretty sure that would rule out the spark plug being an issue too correct?
Just no power. And as soon as I put it into neutral it dies.

I can't visibly see any problems with the linkage or cut off button, or plug. Again it will run, can't be the plug can it?

I'm lost.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
dang it? You posted that same link in another forum. Listing every possible thing that could, possibly, might be wrong is NOT helping!

is it wireing? Is it electrical? Is it just warn out and needs a rebuild? 1600 miles really????

Isn't there anyone out there with more experience who has HAD this same issue and fixed it?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
dang it? You posted that same link in another forum. Listing every possible thing that could, possibly, might be wrong is NOT helping!

is it wireing? Is it electrical? Is it just warn out and needs a rebuild? 1600 miles really????

Isn't there anyone out there with more experience who has HAD this same issue and fixed it?
Yes I did post the same link. Your problem lies somewhere in there. You need to go through it one step at a time, how are we to know what is wrong without looking at it our self. Here you come on this forum, made only two post, so how do you know what my experience is. Take it to someone you think has more experience then me. I'm done!!

Last edited:

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
Gees. It's broken. I got that. Most mechanics can listen to a description of a problem and come up with a pretty good idea what is most likely the problem. Not just somewhere between electrical to carbon, to fuel, to lines, to rebuilds..... I put enough symptoms down here that should help.

Do I really need to disassemble the entire motor? Is that what your telling me?

Look, your selling parts. I'd be happy to buy parts.

I DO NOT HAVE A CLUE WHICH PART I NEED TO BUY OR WHAT A BAD ONE EVEN LOOKS LIKE!!!!!!!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Easy killer, your not going to get much help with an attitude like that. (maybe why you got no help at the other forum?)

Start with a new plug. (while you have it out, what color is it?)

Another thing you may want to check is the head gasket (four nuts and the head is off, you'll be able to tell if it's blown).

Post what you find here and we can go from that.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
It's been a bad day going on horrible. So you know, in that other forum he posted some initials. I asked what they mean and never got a reply.

copy;
I bet you have a stock spark plug. Buy a NGK and a new wire/cap. The wire is held into the CDI with a screw.

He did later post a picture of the wire cap and box it connects to.
But I still don't know what a NGK is or CDI.

Mechanic pulled the plug and darn it all I wasn't looking. He said it was "a little dirty." Only after I came back and started reading did I see the importance of what color dirt.
The wire cape seems wiggly and loose to me... but then... coming back (about a block) I was trying to fire up the motor and it will turn and run. While the bike is rolling and it's in gear, I can give it gas. Engine speeds up, just no pull on the bike.
Wouldn't that rule out the plug?

Head gasket I can check. Blown gasket? Hmmm. Yea that might cause lost of power.
I'll go do that now.
Thanks.

lol...

This my friend is what I'm afraid of!

correction.... he DID explain CDI. I must have posted at the same time.
here, hope it's allowed to post a link to a similar forum.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?p=345400#post345400

Last edited:

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
Hey.... went back to my mechanic. (The old guy was out. He's GOOD!)
he listened to my list of symptoms and immediately said rings.
I wheeled it over there, they showed me how the motor comes apart and sure enough. Rings are shot.

So where now do I find that? Looked at a site called sick bike parts and no luck. I did email but they are a few hours later then me.

so that's what I'm searching for now. New rings.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
no vender. I bought the bike already build but a guy who wanted to sell and build a better one. It's been great. Just warn out.

So..... spookytooth has them on order. 10.00. Found another site, gasbike.net.
They have them for 5.00. Need more parts so tried calling. Idiot just cut me off!
(Ok, so phone jockies aren't the sharpest pencils in the box, I;ll call again later.)

Still looking. This is a pretty basic part. Seems not to hard to find. Just going to try and find that, and any gaskets I need, and a new plug, and new fuel line, filter, air filter. Should be good to go. If I can get that all from the same place, saves on shipping.

Anyway, mystery solved. It was fried rings. (mmmmm fried rings.)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Art lookiing at your picture you can see the head gasket on the cylinder, it was leaking at the brown area near one of the studs. You need to sand the head and cylinder on sand paper on a piece of glass or a true flat surface. Get a new head gasket when you find the rings.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
Just added it to my list of parts. Thanks. I left the bike across the street with the mechanic while I ran over and tried to find parts. In the time it took me he pulled out the piston and cleaned it! OOOHHHH spanking shinny new. I felt like I was holding the heart of my bike in my hands.... lol.
One of the rings by the way was in pieces. yup, shot.

I'll bring the top part of the head over when I get parts. get that cleaned up too.
The gasket itself... (didn't even see it the first time) is metal. And it appears fine. but... those are cheap enough. I'll get one.
And I know I'll need the gasket below that?

What is that one called? Just below the cooling fin part? They had to pry that part of the motor off. That gasket is more like what I pictured. Some kind of board, or cork, or what ever. It's shot. Need that too.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
By the way I didn't see in any of your posts what size engine you have, if you don't know have the mechanic mic the piston for you.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
80cc or (66cc)

Thanks on that gasket name. Got it down. That pistonbike site is awesome! Seems to have pretty much everything I need. got it bookmarked. Probably get an order together first thing in the morning.

now... spark plugs. I read their whole page on that. Interesting.
But there are four options and I'm not sure what I have.

Then again, I don't think my plug is bad actually. Suppose I could let that go for now.