Biker Build Off vs American Chopper

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
How is it a TV show as brilliant as Biker Build-Off only lasts a few seasons yet they are still making American Chopper? Dont get me wrong i do watch American Chopper, but it is getting old. If not for the Jr/Sr feud (Sr is going senile i think) it wouldnt be worth watching. When was the last time they really tried something new or out of the box. And with most things made on waterjet, where is the skill? Or imagination?....... Ive only liked a few bikes: the Stealth bike, Fire bike. But my favourite was definitely the David Mann bike........ And i dont have a Biker Build Off favourite as there are just too many. Please bring back Biker Build Off. Maybe an online petition? LOL

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Totally agree. Also lost Jonny Chop. Other personal favourite builders are Jesse Rooke, Russell Mitchell, Zero Engineering, Detroit Brothers. But Indian Larry is sorely lost. He seemed a genuine character and his bikes were unique. Loved a lot of the engraving he would get done on his bikes..... Oh and Roger Goldammer built some pretty top notch bikes.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
as far as the show goes, i stoped watching when it went to sr vs jr, prety stupid if you ask me, you can watch jerry springer for that kind of crap.

i've liked a few of there bikes, but most are just high dollar catalog builds. rick petco is about the only talent they have.

the company i work for had a bike built and featured on the show. the gladiator garage build. they sent it around to all the whirlpool divisons for us to see. was a nice bike but nothing you wouldn't see at some place like bike week. but now i know where all my pension money that got frozen went.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
uh... y'know... occ choppers is, uhh, a uhhh, pretty good show, uhhh, sometimes. it's uhh... great to, y'know, uh... listen to uhhh, paul senior, uhhhh, talk about, uhhh, y'know, bikes, and uhhh, all the problems, he uhhhh, has with his, uhhh, y'know, uhhh, family...

biker build off kicks american chopper in the teeth. seriously. remember that crazy tricycle style bike with the copper tank? that thing was freakin amazing. and what do you get from OCC? another stupid web bike. how many have they built so far? 4?

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Occ was a joke when the show started and still is! It just proves that people will belive what ever the tv tells them too. This is just a soap opera set in a bike shop , for people who need a high dollar status symbol .
There is no comparision of the skills of those on build off vs paul jr. To bad they never ask rick p to be on build off instead.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah there is a reason OCC or PJD doesnt enter their bikes at the World Championships....... I think if i see another OCC wheel with customer logo in it (WOW how creative lol) ill die, but why all the hatred towards American Chopper? Its made a lot of people interested in bikes/choppers, but maybe its left just as many people with a bad view of bike builders. I mean they do carry on like little kids most the time..... Oh and yeah that trike that looked like a scaled up tricycle was epic!!!!!!! And Russell Mitchells trike was brilliant. And i dont like trikes. The other trike off Biker Build Off with the American flag painted on it wasnt my thing, it looked a little like OCC styled it LOL

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
When I was first learning to weld, one of the first things our teacher told us to "never force cool a weld" because it causes a weak weld.
In a early episode of AC, I saw Jr weld a bike part & then imediately cool it in a bucket of water... (I knew then that he didn't really know what he was doing.) :rolleyes:

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I didn' intend to present any hatred, I just can't stand any time someone or groupe with someting to gain in mind. Tells the rest of us " this is what's cool" or hip or whatever.
Now it's clear that everyone involved with the show and occ are way more intrested in profit and fame then furthering the trade or bringing there "skills" to the masses.
Yet they try and represent themself as the "everyman" shop ,ever wonder why they started doing so many give away build's and trying to push the charity angle?
One of there handlers figured out that they were alienating there original target aud. And started trying to market the show more like a day time soap.
I've worked in plenty of shops ,all over the country and the "stuff" between jr.&sr. Wouldn't last for five min. Way past unprofesional , talk about hostile work place env.
Not to mention that all there issues with each other are cash related , vs creative freedom or direction .

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Totally agree Shop Dogs. I dont blame them for the success they have gotten, they do their own thing, whatever that is LOL. But when you hear them claiming to be innovative and cutting edge it does seem to get under my skin. Sr is the worst when he talks about the bikes. There is apretty consistant formula just with sponsors logo inserted. If they made a show following builds from this site id watch it before American Chopper. Its harder to do things on a budget then ordering billet parts from a catalogue. And thats what i see here and why i visit daily hoping that "new build" has new pics or a new post. I remember just recently waiting in anticipation for Goldys BSA 1913 copy to be finished. I cant recall me having that sort of enthusiam waiting for the next American Chopper episode to see that next bike.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
The OCC show , for me , did get a little boring after a few shows . I felt as if the novelty of theme bikes in a touchy economy would were off sometime soon . What was really hard to watch was the disintegration of the father and sons relationship. I have 2 adult sons and all I could think of was how I would lay down my life for them . I don't know if some of the arguing was the result of producers telling them that this is good for ratings but it pretty much stinks to watch a father and son yell and smash and kick and scream and then become enemies. If you were a high profile company , would you want to have that attitude representing your business . Life is too short .

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I watched a few episodes but it was pretty clear that it was geared for the common denominator and lost all interest when it became more about the egos, and the show itself then....what they were actually doing took a back seat.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Yea, what you'all said on OCC etc... so much to say as I read this thread, not going there,. . . OK just one, I was watching the "Snap-On" bike build, Paul senor said "Man, (ughhhh) They got a good welder there" referring to the frame builder, they(OCC) should have ABSOLOUTLY the best welders, YA THINK... good news is "Cash Cab" is on after AC/OCC
Mac

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Mac i see what you are saying but you could take it further. He shouldnt have commented on the nice weld as you are correct, they should have welders that good. But they should be making their own frames. They are bike assemblers and not bike builders.
Cash Cab? We had a show in Australia called that where there was a hidden camera in a taxi and when customers got in the inside of the cab lit up, and they asked them trivia while doing their fare to win money. And if and when they lost they got booted to the curb. Cool show years ago. Is this the same show..... probably not lol

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Mac i see what you are saying but you could take it further. He shouldnt have commented on the nice weld as you are correct, they should have welders that good. But they should be making their own frames. They are bike assemblers and not bike builders.
Cash Cab? We had a show in Australia called that where there was a hidden camera in a taxi and when customers got in the inside of the cab lit up, and they asked them trivia while doing their fare to win money. And if and when they lost they got booted to the curb. Cool show years ago. Is this the same show..... probably not lol

Yeah thats the same show...Its great. Alot of american TV is spin-offs of TV shows from other countries just changed a bit to suit American preferences.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hahaha who would of thought..... Now dont go trying to blame American Chopper on other countries. You Americans came up with that all by yourself LOL