clutch cable breaking

GoldenMotor.com

pedrodog

Apr 21, 2013
san pedro, ca.
dnutI ride on a daily basis and this is the third time my cable broke. (at the handle end) There has to be a way to make it last longer. I understand about lubrication but can't see how lubricating the area where the lead is going to help uunless someone else knows of a secret that I don't know. maybe extra lead down the cable? I've ordered an extra cable anda clutch actuator is there anything else that I should be aware of?
TIA

Last edited:

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
grease the whole cable, will take some time to re-thread but take the cable out of the sheath, , or use a pulley to take some of the pressure off the cable with placement and routing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Take a good look at the clutch actuating mechanism inside the left side cover. The cam, bucking bar (pin that protrudes from the sprocket) and the ball bearing that goes in behind that pin need to be lubricated well with a good quality bearing grease.

If you're handy and and have the tools you can use a Dremel with a sanding disc and smooth the areas of contact where the cam and bucking bar meet. Typically they are rough and increase clutch pull/friction.

Also be sure you are replacing the cables with those intended for bicycle brakes, not gear shifters. Brake cables are much heavier than shifter cable.

Tom

pedrodog

Apr 21, 2013
san pedro, ca.
grease the whole cable, will take some time to re-thread but take the cable out of the sheath, , or use a pulley to take some of the pressure off the cable with placement and routing.
Take a good look at the clutch actuating mechanism inside the left side cover. The cam, bucking bar (pin that protrudes from the sprocket) and the ball bearing that goes in behind that pin need to be lubricated well with a good quality bearing grease.

If you're handy and and have the tools you can use a Dremel with a sanding disc and smooth the areas of contact where the cam and bucking bar meet. Typically they are rough and increase clutch pull/friction.

Also be sure you are replacing the cables with those intended for bicycle brakes, not gear shifters. Brake cables are much heavier than shifter cable.

Tom
Thank you both for the quick response. I bought all new parts from bike berry. A new clutch cable clutch actuator and clutch pads. I had used norms cable repair twice before and it worked great but I was thinking of adding just a coat about an inch from the lead ball at the handle end to see if that helps in making it last a little while longer. I will look into the brake cable and see if there is a difference. Thanks again.