Avoid the 415H chain

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I ordered a 415H chain from speeddemon not too long ago in the hopes of using my 44T sprocket for better speed. Turns out that was a very bad idea indeed. It was a high quality one too from SRAM

**Do NOT use it with any spring tensioner, the chain needs to be slack free pretty much constantly. Any slack or bending in this thick bastard will cause it to near permanently jam up in your sprocket housing. it did this once to me, mid-ride, because it was 2 links too long. The chain bound up near the top magneto-side screw. The bike would not roll at all (the 415 is a simple case of rolling the bike backward to unjam), I had to pour out my gas, throw it in the trunk of a car and drive it home, where I had to take the cover AND sprocket off to unbind the chain.

Even when the thick bastard is taught, the thing likes to resist movement (meaning your engine is working harder), I lost a few mph (2-3) off my top speed, but it is ridiculously strong. It's one redeeming feature is even ripping at 65km/hr, if it binds, it aint letting go. My roommate used a part of it to fix his chain after it snapped and I went back to the 36T and 415. bound up a few days later. He's 350 lbs, on a 20" tire with 44T sprocket, the thing launches like a rocket, and snapped a 415 like it was nothing. Not the case with the 415H, ohhh no, the 415h stopped his schwinn chopper so quickly that he fell off and sprained his ankle pretty badly (doctors thought the ligament was torn).

The 415H is really strong, but bandaiding a different issue entirely (most likely an alignment issue. Do not buy the 415H, it's unnecessary

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Huh. My 415H, made my KMC, works great, along with the TB spring tensioner. IMO, the reason a chain binds up on the drive sprocket is because the chinese drive sprockets suck, to be blunt.The tooth profile is square. They need to be profiled (rounded off) with a file or grinder so the chain can rotate around the sprocket rather than getting jammed on the top of the tooth.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I run a Tsubaki 415 motorcycle chain on my Chinagirl and it works flawlessly.
I did have to knock the clutch shaft over a pinch to keep the chain from rubbing on the case but that was no big deal. I also profiled the sprocket like Jeckler spoke of.

I think that you are having more of a cheap Chinese sprocket problem than a 415 chain problem.