Road testing knobbies at 40MPH: Mr. Toads Wild Ride?

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Well me and my bike are still in one piece. 24 x 2.6 Duro Razorbacks rolling on 50mm wide rims. Almost feels like your riding a full suspension motorcycle. It's a very plush ride as long.... as the knobs are still there. LOL

Pros:

Amazing load carrying capacity per PSI (Tire is almost 3x a normal bike tires weight and sidewalls remain stiff with little air in the tire.)

Amazing shock absorption from the knobs themselves (Almost feels like you have a rear shock on your bike.)

Cons:

Bank angle reduced by half (Does not want to lean easily and I'm not about to help it.)

Tread wear (Knobs will not last long on this tire at a motorized bicycle RPM's on asphalt. It is a certainty.)

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
those tires are huge. nice comfortable bike looks like. Do you have issues with the chain rubbing on such wide tires? if not, how you make them fit?
Those Shinko tires start at 2.75" and go up from there. My Razorbacks are 2.6" and I can go no wider in the front or back tire. 2.6" leaves me 1/4" clearance on both sides.

The Shinkos in the pic below are DOT Knobby motorcycle tires and those are the pinnacle of comfort and shock absorption.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
those tires are huge. nice comfortable bike looks like. Do you have issues with the chain rubbing on such wide tires? if not, how you make them fit?
I'm gonna hand build a mono-shock frame with dual crown suspension forks to contain any size tire up to around 4" wide and then I'm gonna slide a 212cc Predator in that frame and mount it flat on its mount with room to spare. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
i wanna see this next build! lol
I dumped the 212cc idea. The frame will be designed around the completely vertical Honda GC 190. No slant heads for me cause it would make the bike frame too long and I don't have Gorilla arms so.... LOL

My custom frame design will be the first and last design I ever do so I gotta get it right the first time. "One Ring to Rule Them All". Omni-configurable, from mild to wild based on the same lines as the Felt MP/Slater frame.