Problem with broken clutch springs.........

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Hi all, hope someone can help me with this.....I have a thatsdax friction drive kit and one of his 4 stroke motors. For some reason, I keep breaking clutch springs on the centrifugal clutch.

I will ride about 10 minutes and I can hear a spring break and then the motor will be directly connected to the drive wheel. When I come to a stop-the motor will die because the clutch is locked up.

Here are two pics of how I have the motor mounted-if someone sees something I am doing wrong....feel free to post a comment.

IMG_1431 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_1433 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

grinningremlin

May 13, 2012
New Mexico
Howdy,
Found your post searching for the same problem.I have a HF 52cc and have gone through 3 springs myself, it seems the shoes should wear out before the springs.Your mounting looks fine, the only things that can cause springs to break is heat/vibration/overstress/abrasion.I found that spring steel is good to only 260F and stainless to 500F.My solution was to find a stainless spring of close enough diameter (so it won't rub the bell), I then cut coils and made it fit the shoes.It was not fun bending the ends, but appears to be working well (so far).You'll need to lower you idle so there no chatter when stopped (heats up the shoes) and go ahead and ride at good RPM's so the shoes fully engage.I'm new to this stuff, only 500 miles so far (26 at a time); one thing I did notice is with a broken spring, the bike would still pedal fine without the engine running, so when a spring broke I'd just pedal to about 5mph reach back and pull-start the engine and off I went, basically a poor man's Dimension Edge set up, and if it breaks again that's what I'll do.Good luck.