Bent my own exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

48ccFury

Apr 19, 2015
NY
Thanks to Tom (2door) for the idea to use EMT conduit to lengthen the exhaust pipe.

The exhaust no longer points at the ground and directs the sound waves back at me, so the ride quality is much improved. I'll have to go for an extended ride once this weather lets up for more riding impressions. The exhaust still needs to be heat wrapped and more permanently hung. More pictures when that comes to fruition.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You did good, Fury. Extending the muffler to the rear sure makes it quieter, doesn't it?
I run all my exhaust out to the rear and it makes the ride so much nicer.

Most long pipe designs require a hanger so the exhaust flange fasteners aren't carrying all the weight and vibration. I see you considered that with your pipe. Good man :)

Thanks for sharing your pipe build.

Tom

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I'm in the process of lengthening one of those poopoo pipes to work on mine.
I hope it comes out as slick as yours did, that looks like it belongs there.
Nice!

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Nice looking exhaust, Fury, but there might be a bit of a safety issue. It looks like you have the muffler attached to the fender brace. If it is a thin, flat brace they are very susceptible to vibration fatigue cracking. I would suggest you consider trimming a few inches or whatever to allow you to mount the muffler to the bicycle frame itself if there is room and clearance for you to do so. It shouldn't change the look of the setup very much but would be much safer. just my opinion.

nice looking ride you got there!

- Chaz

48ccFury

Apr 19, 2015
NY
Thank you for the compliments and suggestions, everyone.

Yesterday I did end up taking off my fender after discovering a stress crack in the middle mounting tab by the seat stays. As a result, I took the muffler hanger from the kit and modified it to fit over the drop outs above the seat stay. I'm going to see if I have enough material to attach it to the chain stay as well. Some time next week, I'll have to get some 10g or 12g steel sheet metal and make a proper bracket. This bike will also have a rack going on it in the future once I get new mounting hardware to replace the rusty/"gonna strip the first time I assemble it" allen bolts; I can see what kind of additional support it will provide.

Took it for a ride yesterday and killed about 85% of a tank. Power was smoother over the whole rev range. The biggest surprise was a 1 mph increase in top speed and average speed. Can't wait until it needs a rebuild so I can really do some modifications.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Good news! Glad you found some improvement with your new setup. Gotta love smooth acceleration. Maybe you can get some steel rod and weld the rack directly to your frame. It's only a few points to weld and if you don't have a welder or someone who can do it for you just go down to your local muffler shop at the end of a hot day with a cold six pack. Works wonders and win win for all.